weedeater pooped out on me.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

invisibledemon

Bored
VIP
cant get a break.

went to spend the morning conquering a jungle (again), did just the front of the house, the easy part, and weedeater started bogging down. figured maybe the spark plug was fouled, took it out and cleaned it up with a wire brush (didnt have a new one handy) still bogging.
took the air filter out and cleaned it, to no avail.
it has sat for about two weeks, so i changed the gas.

after new gas, i tried starting it, would start and instantly stop.
started it and gave some throttle, would run until i let off throttle, then die.

pulled the cord again, locks up. cant pull cord again. pull out spark plug to make sure it didnt flood and lock, nothing.

automatically think the worst, engine must be locked up (4stroke with full, new oil)

put it on the table and started taking it apart, pull of the oil pan, inside looks nice and clean, nothing chipped, cracked, broken, or out of place.
pull off the shaft, and access the clutch to find this:

946795_10201296261826987_1804785878_n.jpg

its fucked. lol.

the spring (partial spring above my thumb) apparently had broken and completely shredded the starter housing. the red plastic behind the clutch there should be perfectly smooth with nothing visible behind it, i can see the starter springs. i pulled the rest of the spring out (was lodged behind the clutch, buried in melted plastic) and broke off some plastic, and the engine spins. yay.

so, you cant buy just the spring, have to get a new clutch set.
cant buy just the red housing either, have to buy a new starter set.

new parts are $60 total (unless i discover more stuff) but, $60 is $60, lol, and i lost a perfect cool day to do the shittiest part of my yard work.

yay me.

lol its only my thumbnail i keep long. its very hard, so its real handy opening boxes and cutting/scraping stuff.

i find myself very inconvenienced when it breaks off.

Funny coke nail pictures are hard to find.

if you have over 10 minutes of weed eating to do at a time, you will want to kill yourself useing that ^^^^^^^^^^^^^thing

Lmao. I'll stick to fixing me straight shaft for $60.

I have a shitload of weedeating to do around my place. If I did it all in one day, its probably about 5 to 6 hours of work. And even with the straight shaft, I wish it were about 6 inches longer. Most of the yard that needs to be cut with this is at more than a 45 degree angle, some parts almost 90. This thing does the job very well, I just bought used piece of equipment, and now I have to repair it, no surprises. To get a machine about the equivalent of this one would be over $250. $60 sounds nicer.

Back