weight lifting what di i need to do

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I'll post this for the last time.

THERE IS NO GOD DAMN THING KNOWN AS TONING.

"TONING" IS A FUNCTION OF DIET, NOT HOW MANY REPS OR WHAT KIND OF EXERCISES YOUR PERFORM.

/this thread.

/advice in this thread, except for what get_nick has said.

Original poster, I did point you in the right direction. You're going to fail at lifting if you can't take the time or effort to click two links and research a little bit. Your question has been posted a million times on other websites before. You must have searched for 5 seconds before giving up, or you don't know how to use the internet.

Paul Senior has years of lifting under his belt. There's no way that you can even come close to his size, with his muscle mass, without working at it for an extended period of time. There's no way a person who doesn't work out can even delude themselves so highly to believe that they have a build anything like his. The guy is an absolute monster, just because you have the height or weight doesn't mean that you're going to be able to have the muscle mass and size that he does - especially not every night.

Have you watched an episode before? He constantly goes to Gold's Gym, which is a huge muscle head and steroid gym. He was repping 315+lbs on bench with ease the one time they showed him lifting. Thats not common.
i uderstand all this but you would have to see me to understand why i picked that as my goad when i was in 10th grade is the only time i lifted and it was because of some 3 day thing the p.e coach did and i maxed out at 210 on ther bench press and incline, and thats with never lifting in my life and im even bigger of a guy now, but i just wont to say thanks to the ones that helped me, and one last thing and i know what i need to do what do yall recoment that i do to cut some fat off my chest before i start bulking up ??

i uderstand all this but you would have to see me to understand why i picked that as my goad when i was in 10th grade is the only time i lifted and it was because of some 3 day thing the p.e coach did and i maxed out at 210 on ther bench press and incline, and thats with never lifting in my life and im even bigger of a guy now, but i just wont to say thanks to the ones that helped me, and one last thing and i know what i need to do what do yall recoment that i do to cut some fat off my chest before i start bulking up ??
dude, i hate to be a bitch, but you type confusing. want is spelled "w-a-n-t". it is very confusing to me and some of the other readers because we aren't you sure if you "want" something or "won't" something.

anyways, if you want to cut fat you need to stop putting fat into your body first. eat a lot healthier for 1. no fast food, period. stop drinking soda pop and don't drink alcohol. drink a gallon of water a day. you will see results from just that.

then do cardio. run, jog, bicycle. shit, you can jack off for 90 minutes a day if that's all you want to do. but you have to increase your heart rate for a period of time.

dude, i hate to be a bitch, but you type confusing. want is spelled "w-a-n-t". it is very confusing to me and some of the other readers because we aren't you sure if you "want" something or "won't" something.

anyways, if you want to cut fat you need to stop putting fat into your body first. eat a lot healthier for 1. no fast food, period. stop drinking soda pop and don't drink alcohol. drink a gallon of water a day. you will see results from just that.

then do cardio. run, jog, bicycle. shit, you can jack off for 90 minutes a day if that's all you want to do. but you have to increase your heart rate for a period of time.
yea thanks for pointing that out :nutkick: lol but for real you have been a big help, i know what i need to do now thanks

you're built like me... i'm 6'1 and was 265...

i'm down to about 230 now in about a 5 weeks.

my work outs aren't anything spectacular....
but i've been eating better and less... not stuffing myself. stopping when i'm satisfied.

I was raised to "finish my plate" and pretty much have for my entire life finsihed my plate, even if i was full.

now, i cook less, so i still finish my plate, but its not a heaping plate of food.

i still eat junk, fatty foods, drink soda, and the whole 9 and i still lost 30 lbs in a month just by eating a little less, and doing a little more.

Word. B's right. Eating less every meal is everything. Also eating more frequently boosts your metabolism.

I'm not a huge physical specimen but I'm yeah 190 6' and I'm pretty nicely built. I'll hit cardio 3 days a week doing HIIT and I'll be 170 guaranteed in 2 months, and I won't lose muscle mass, all guaranteed by dieting. Diet is 80% of your build, the rest is genetics and lifting(cardio in your case).

holy shit B, thats some progress. Thats awesome, im down 11, and that is just from eating right. I start working out Sunday, when the new gym opens at work.

I weigh 135 lbs, 5'7". My muscle has a lot of density (always has). I can lift more than someone with my appearing physique normally can.

But the key here is that I'm not a goddam pussy. Most people my size tend to sit things out and claim that they can't. Here is my secret for staying fit:

No pot.
No video games.
I am CONSTANTLY doing something. If not for me, than for someone else. I never sit idle.
I have a good self-image.

Just try cutting out your idle time and see what happens to your stamina and endurance in your everyday activity.

ok...check it out

the first thing you need to do is get on a bench press and get your max amount you lift one time...you will definitely need a spotter for this...cuz your max is something you barely get up...there are many diagrams and graphs out there that tell you what to work out with based on your max bench press...

there are two ways to lift: to get stronger and get minor muscle mass, and there is to get more muscle mass and get cut.

if you want the first choice, you would be lifting as heavy of weight as you can with less reps. This will increase your max lift, but you will still look the same. I have weighed between 150 and 160 for 5 or 6 years. I started out weight lifting with a max of 135 pounds on bench press...which is just the bar and a 45 on each side (the bar weighs 45 pounds on most bench presses. i kept on working out with as much as i could with 4 sets of 6 reps...it got my max up to 220 pounds pretty damn quick....but im still weighing the same....weird how that works

but then again i run too...so i stay in top shape...

anyways...if youre looking to get cut...you need to do more reps with less weight...hell...even push ups and crunches everyday at the house will help...i do a pyramid of push ups and crunches everyday...20 push ups:20 crunches, 19 push ups:19 crunches, and so on all the way down to 1 push up:1 crunch...it does wonders...but you might want to start out with 10 of each and work your way down...then as it gets easier you add more on to the pyramid...

the pyramid idea can go with bench press as well...start out very light...and do 20 reps...add 5 pounds and do 19 reps...add 5 more and do 18...and so on...until you get to your max that you are only supposed to be able to do 1 time...but dont get mad if you cant get it your first time on the pyramid...youre going to be slap tired once you get to it...

ok...you are wanting to focus on your upper body...but i hate it when guys go into the weightroom and only want their upper body looking nice and they neglect their legs and lower body...im like wtf! so...if you pan on working out monday through friday...pick monday, wednesday, and friday for upper boday and pick tuesday and thursday for lower body...

your upper body days will be strictly on upper body...dont do anything lower body related on those days...i usually start out with bench press, then move to curls, then move to decline bench press, then the chest machine, then incline bench press, then the shoulder pull down thingie, then the same machine only i stand up and push down with the rope to work my triceps...then i do some dips and get on some crunch machines...and i do many more machines...when im done...my upper body feels like rubber...if you dont walk out feeling tired...you didnt work hard enough...and if you arent sore the next morning...you definitely didnt work hard enough...

on the leg days...i start out with leg press...then squats...then leg lifts...then hamstrings which is the leg lift machine only the opposite way...then the calf machine...and then i jog...

anyways...ive rambled on enough...hope some of this stuff helps you out...good luck with the workout

Seems we're in the same boat.

I'll post this for the last time.

THERE IS NO GOD DAMN THING KNOWN AS TONING.

are you serious????????? Ok here's what you do, go to Google, in the search box type the word "toning" read what you find then come back and tell us still that there is no such thing as toning.

please end yourself you ignorant son of a bitch

for one thing...i was just giving examples of different workouts...if i want to bench then curl then move onto other things...then i can do so...its worked just fine for me...since when did you become the expert on weightlifting...o wait...youre NOT! so STFU!

next...it is very crucial to know your max if youre going to workout properly...you dont just estimate...wtf kind of advice is that? youre the one that is going to get someone hurt...some people dont know how to fuckin estimate...so you and your buddies go into the gym...get on the bench...and spot each other...its not that fucking hard to bench press...it doesnt take hours on end to get the right form on the bench press.

next...wtf are you talking about toning is a diet? holy shit dude...look at it this way...base the term toning on its definition for art...it has to do with shading...now look at someone who has TONED abs...you can see them very well because they protrude so much as show the shading...holy shit dude...youre ignorant as hell...if you do more reps it helps to make you cut which in turn tones your muscles...you are correct that they do effect muscular endurance i never said they dont help with endurance...thats a given...but if you want strength...you go with MORE weight and LESS reps...

last...i didnt tell all of my workout routine now did i?...i only gave a few workouts...to get the guy started...of course i work my fucking back out...DUH!...wtf dude...and did i not mention the pull downs with the damn cord machine? that works out your upper back and shoulders...i work my middle back out with dumbells...i find a flat bench...and do the pull ups with the dumbells...i work my lower back out with back extensions and dead lifts...so dont go saying i dont work my back out when you have never worked out with me in your life...

i also do many workouts with the big balls...helps to tone your abs and i do back workouts with them as well...

o yea...and of course its also about eating right...everyone knows that...its just a matter of if they do it or not...and doing cardio workouts never hurt...anyways...nuff said bout that...

Although I do like how u told him to STFU since I couldn't cause I hate being an asshole, what am I talking about I am an asshole that's what they say, asshole by nature, the both of you are right. Everyone's body is different so our workout might not work for him and vice versa

I weigh 135 lbs, 5'7". My muscle has a lot of density (always has). I can lift more than someone with my appearing physique normally can.

But the key here is that I'm not a goddam pussy. Most people my size tend to sit things out and claim that they can't. Here is my secret for staying fit:

No pot.
No video games.
I am CONSTANTLY doing something. If not for me, than for someone else. I never sit idle.
I have a good self-image.

Just try cutting out your idle time and see what happens to your stamina and endurance in your everyday activity.

What no video games, couldn't do that. as for the spare time, I replace that with good old sex, sex is a good excercise in itself :cool:

just because google turns results on it, doesn't mean its accurate information.
True story, but in this case I do believe it is when every link takes you to an article that discusses "toning"

And then how are you gonna say, not you sol, "there is no such thing as toning" but in the following sentence give a definition of "toning" Knock knock, anybody home?

Last edited:
the point is toning is not something you do via lifting. its something you do via diet.

high rep/low weight is not for toning. its for stretch, flexibility and muscle endurance.

low rep/hi weight is for mass building, low endurance, high bursts.

the point is toning is not something you do via lifting. its something you do via diet.

high rep/low weight is not for toning. its for stretch, flexibility and muscle endurance.

low rep/hi weight is for mass building, low endurance, high bursts.
Ok let's make sure i'm on the same page as u, which i probably am not, when I say or hear tone, toned, or toning i'm thinking bout definition, being cut, chiseled. I take it this is not what you mean?

that is correct.

to get the 'look', its all in cutting the fat from your body. the muscle will still be the same shape for the most part.

that is correct.

to get the 'look', its all in cutting the fat from your body. the muscle will still be the same shape for the most part.
I tend to disagree, I know the muscle is always gonna be under the fat but u still have to work out in order to shape the muscle/tighten it and u got to get off the fat but that's done both through diet and working out, I'm not speaking as a trainer or anything just from experinces with my own body, As i said in the other thread last year when we were all talking about big people and little people. It's hard for me to gain weight, I could eat all day but unless i'm putting in time in the gym there won't be any change. Now I can stay on the same diet when i'm not working out as to when I am in the gym every day which is eat whatever and i'll see my muscles go from small and unnoticeable to being bigger and more defined, this is where I derived my conclusion that toning isn't just from dieting, but like I said this is just what i've experinced with my body and i know everyone body reacts differently,

Do I make since to you now?

bigger will show as being more toned simply because its taking up more area under your skin, regardless of diet or anything else. in the end, the final cut is due to muslce size vs body fat.

like me, my bicpeps are 27 inches around.
but i assure you, others look a lot more toned than me, at both bigger sizes and smaller sizes, due to me having a lot of fat.

bigger will show as being more toned simply because its taking up more area under your skin, regardless of diet or anything else. in the end, the final cut is due to muslce size vs body fat.

but i assure you, others look a lot more toned than me, at both bigger sizes and smaller sizes, due to me having a lot of fat.
Well hop your ass on the threadmill and "run nigga run" lol, jp but your point is noted and understood. Ahh see how things are worked out so much better without the flames

Dude, there's no way your biceps are 27", you'd be bigger thann the gobernator as he's been around 22" at his peak.

Hell I'm only 17".

Back