Weight reduction = horsepower gain

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Blanco, you are as stubborn as you are arrogant.
NO ONE IN THIS THREAD HAS EVER SAID THAT WEIGHT REDUCTION ADDS HP!
No one is confused. You keep telling him to stop reffering to it as hp gained, yet he never has. He has said it is "like" hp gained or "similar" to hp gained, but never has he said that actual hp are gained by removing weight. He is not causing confusion, he is not posting misinformation, he is trying to come up with an equation that can quantify the equivelants factors of HP and weight by using the HP to weight ratio. I'm not terribly advanced at math, but it seems that there would have to be a formula rather than a straight conversion factor, but without any way to test this theory, I have no idea.

BTW reducing rotational mass does gain HP. Test it on a dyno, before you were at a lower HP, now you are at a higher HP, so it is gained. You're arguing semantics and it is pointless. Stop trying to be a know-it-all and get over yourself.

Reducing weight does wonders on small engines. Say you have a 20 horses tied together they can run really fast....put a person on each horse and they are gonna go slower. Weight reductino depends all on the owners preferences. Do you wann car that you can go fast and hear every liltte sound it makes or do you want comfort. Stripping reduces weight which in turn cuts time in a drag race, but at a cost. Its up to you.;)

i thinks this is the funniest thread ever.... lmfao

but what i have learned is that... when you lose weight you dont actually make any horsepower.... but you would gain more power... as if you have gained horsepower...???? am i right im a little confused...

i thinks this is the funniest thread ever.... lmfao

but what i have learned is that... when you lose weight you dont actually make any horsepower.... but you would gain more power... as if you have gained horsepower...???? am i right im a little confused...

OMG Blanco, noobs like this do exist!

no you are wrong, no power is gained, it SEEMS like more power is gained but that is due to the fact that there is less weight restricting your existing power.

thats what i meant... just couldnt word it right... sorry bout that... but if you read idiot i clearly say you dont make horse power.... but i meant to say it seems like u make horsepower because of the weight reduction... once again sorry about that... and your a dick...

This is a technical forum. Being correct is important. Your lack of actual understanding is going to mislead people into thinking that they'll actually gain horsepower from removing their rear seats.

It really seems to me that it is your lack of understanding that is causing confusion.

I'm not terribly advanced at math, but it seems that there would have to be a formula rather than a straight conversion factor, but without any way to test this theory, I have no idea.

Thanks for renewing a little of my faith in this forum.

Unfortunatly there is no straight conversion formula applicable to all vehicles since both power and weight vary. If my math is correct, dropping fifty pounds off the CRX was equivalent to adding one horse while the same fifty pounds off the turdstang yielded four.

That's what suprised me a little. I thought dropping weight off the smaller motor would make a bigger difference.

The closest I can come to a formula is something like this....

HP / Lbs = X
HP / (Lbs - Y) = Z
Lbs * Z = A

Where:
HP = horsepower
Lbs = stock weight
X = stock power to weight ratio
Y = Lbs removed from stock weight
Z = power to weight ratio w/ reduced weight
A = HP required to achieve Z w/ stock weight (Lbs)

am i right im a little confused...

Let me try to explain a different way.

Do you understand the difference between net profit and gross profit?
Gross profit is the money you make before paying taxes...while net profit is what you keep after all taxes and expenses. So, if your taxes and/or expenses are reduced your net profit will increase even though your gross profit has remained constant.

This is exactly the same thing. By dropping the weight on your vehicle you are reducing the taxes on your gross HP production. Even though you have not gained any HP, you're still taking more home w/ you at the end of the day.

Dude. I'm going to weight reduce my car and fill the tires and cabin with helium. A b18 in a car that weighs negative 45 pounds would have an infinitive power/weight ratio.

I'll chuckle in a high pitched voice on my way to the moon.

20ftspidermanblimp.jpg

a car that weighs negative 45 pounds would have an infinitive power/weight ratio.

Like I stated earlier, the lighter you are, the more traction issues you will have.
0 weight=zero traction.

No, you won't, because without oxygen, you will die, and the atmosphere does not extend all the way to the moon, plus helium wouldn't provide enough lift for a 1500 lb vehicle. STOP SPREADING MISINFORMATION ON THIS SERIOUS BUSINESS TECHNICAL FORUM!

/Blanco impersonation

one question... will losing 200 pounds of your car... really effect traction that much??? so wat if you weight 300 pounds.... doesnt that mean you gain more traction...

one question... will losing 200 pounds of your car... really effect traction that much???
depends were the weight is removed from, but yes, in a FWD car if you remove that much weight from the front of the vehicle, you will lose a significant amount of traction. The fact that you drastically improved your power to weight ratio will more than compensate for this loss of traction.
so wat if you weight 300 pounds.... doesnt that mean you gain more traction...
Yes, it will be harder to break the tires loose, but your fat ass will make the car slower.

Now to add another side to this whole arguement. Weight removed does not equal traction lost. It seems that way, but if you loose 200 pounds from a car, The weight reduced means less weight on the launch and less to hold in the corners. So you actually GAIN traction when reducing the weight of a car.

Now, keep this realistic.. A 2000 pound CRX will launch slower than an 1800 pound CRX. The 1800 will launch quicker, break faster, and corner better. Sure it doesn't have that extra 200 pounds holding the tires to the pavement, but You must also thing that it doesnt have that extra 200 pounds to heave around.

There are exceptions, such as sand bags in the back of a pickup in the winter.. But thats apples to oranges.

how would you remove sound dampening material ? and what is that ?

Pull your seats out, rip away.

My buddy is weight reducing his russianed 94 accord. The interior is held together with zip ties so he figured "fuck it might as well rip the whole damn interior out except seats and a dash".

Ill post up results, as in how much weight lost.

The old F22 gave away, so we are replacing it with a mildly built F22.

how would you remove sound dampening material ? and what is that ?

Its all that black crap under your carpet....want it gone get some dry ice.....works great. Search google for more on stripping that stuff. Isnt hard either, the dry ice does all the work for you. Not many ppl know about that, ive been to tuner shops with guys working at them that didnt know it.

BTW reducing rotational mass does gain HP. Test it on a dyno, before you were at a lower HP, now you are at a higher HP, so it is gained. You're arguing semantics and it is pointless. Stop trying to be a know-it-all and get over yourself.

this is were every one is wrong. wieght reduction does increase hp. ripping out your seats will not affect dyno numbers, but a lightwieght flyweel will "free" hp.
lightwieght flyweels do not make hp. what they do is free hp. so that this is clear your flyweel reduces hp like your transmission does. lighter flyweel = less hp lost, not hp made. this is a diffrent kind of wieght reduction that shows on the dyno.

This is a technical forum. Being correct is important. Your lack of actual understanding is going to mislead people into thinking that they'll actually gain horsepower from removing their rear seats.

you guys want to bust his balls but hes one of the few, i mean very very very few on this form who know whats up. this subject like a lot of other ones is one of the very basic principles of cars. if more people took the time to fully understand whats going on there would be a lot less idiots in the world spreading miss information

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back