Weight reduction = horsepower gain

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Status
Not open for further replies.
this is were every one is wrong. wieght reduction does increase hp. ripping out your seats will not affect dyno numbers, but a lightwieght flyweel will "free" hp.
lightwieght flyweels do not make hp. what they do is free hp. so that this is clear your flyweel reduces hp like your transmission does. lighter flyweel = less hp lost, not hp made. this is a diffrent kind of wieght reduction that shows on the dyno.

If you read what I said once more, you'd realize the word I used was GAIN which means to get something you did not have before. Before you install a lighter flywheel, you have less wheel horsepower. After installing the lighter flywheel, you GAIN wheel horsepower that you did not have before. The HP was there the whole time at the crank, but you did not have it at the wheels. I never stated nor implied that flywheels generate HP. Once again, this is all semantics that could easily be ascertained with an ounce of common sense.

40-50 pounds on the tart under the carpet its for sound reduction only thing is the shits stuck on there really good i used a torch and flat head screwdriver thats all i had lol put what the fuck you want the tart for may or may not help you

40-50 pounds on the tart under the carpet its for sound reduction only thing is the shits stuck on there really good i used a torch and flat head screwdriver thats all i had lol put what the fuck you want the tart for may or may not help you

The tar weighs 50 lbs? No way, that's a shitload of tar.

not to just jump in, but i remember reading in one of my honda tuning books, that every 100lbs of weight you remove is equal to one horse.... not shown on the dyno... just one horse...

There are many positive effects of lightening your vehicle. It creates faster acceleration (consider this almost more horsepower when you loose weight) because essentially your power to weight ratio is now greater. It also has two more main attributes and a few other little helpful things that go along with lightening. Stopping / Braking performance increases. With less weight acting upon the car to propel you further. Your braking system wont need to work as hard....and when it goes full max it will also stop quicker with less weight to stop. So extended braking life and added performance. Then finally you increase your handling and response. With less weight acting upon the suspension [unsprung weight] your suspension can do its job more efficiently. Its quicker to react so thing will not only get more comfortable , but it will also handle better. It does matter sometimes where the weight is being lost on the car as this can change the balance of the car. Look into a few things when trying to better your suspension through weight.
The final factor of this, everything is being used less....even the engine. So you get more reliability , better gas mileage , more performance & less wear and tear. It all equals pluses and remember most vehicle manufacturers now adays are always playing the weight battle. Soichiro Honda, was the man who really introduced the lightweight engineering aspect to the auto industry. He would be known to inspect vehicles after completion and find bolts that were a few threads over the nut and would order them shaved down & the part changed in final assembly to further save overall weight.

Last edited:
Actually, you're right. I took my interior out and picked up 20whp. This is even better than putting a full side vinyl flamingo on!

I'm not going to keep repeating myself. We are basically arguing the same point, w/ the exception of semantics. Also, you're basically a prick.

I'm just going to go ahead and put you on ignore, actually.

Thank God.

But if they mean the same, are they not the same?

Wow.
She says "Did you see that bergundy colored car?", he says no, but I saw a red car.
Argument ensues...

No one ever contested those points. I have no idea who you're arguing with or what the source of disagreement is. You misinterpreted what people were saying just so that you could argue. Tourettes much?

And I like how you're a technical competitive racecar internet discusser. Wheeee!

Troll (Internet)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In Internet terminology, a troll is someone who intentionally posts messages about sensitive topics constructed to cause controversy in an online community such as an online discussion forum or USENET groups in order to bait users into responding.[1] They may also plant images and data on networks that others may find disturbing in order to cause confrontation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back