Weight reduction

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

battery cable doesn't weigh another 23 lbs. no way in hell. Sorry bro. That would be some heavy ass battery cable. Man if this thread is about weight reduction why is everyone bashing him for saying weight reduction helps more than you think? That makes no sense. I have thought about taking out my back seat, but then again my car weighs like 2700 lbs weight reduction isn't even worth my time on this car. Its a fatty. If/When I ever build a re that thing will have the driver seat and a custom dash to just hold the gauges, the essentials and thats all. I figure dropping another 200 lbs from a car that is already less than 2000 lbs would be worth it.

Last edited:
too much. take that shit out. I'm guessing the resevoir, pump, and belt weigh a couple pounds. not much p/s pumps are light

ok so since i've been getting greif about my "half-assed" weight reduction, i looked into it even more.

i started with my wheels. supprisingly, BSA 315's in 17" are only 12lbs. i thought they were like 20 or so and i was gonna go to track light's.. so i researched and found out they are incredibly light weight. + for me.

i yanked out all the wires for my amp and sub, moved my battery location to the rear and changed out my battery to a Kinetics batter. stock batter weight i think was almost 30 lbs? the kinetics is 7 lbs.

when they swapped in my GSR i had them remove the a/c setup but they still left the lines. yanked those out as well as the ac resivour tank? the tank on the d/s that sits down next to the frame rail tucked in to a whole between the frame rail and the fenderliner.

everything behind the front 2 seats has been yanked out before. the only thing left back there is the 6x9's and now the small battery.

i left my dynamat because it really does help with the noise and it only weight 14 lbs so i can justify it. (if you dont like the idea of it, bash me if you want, i dont care. it makes a HUGE difference when you remove everything to quiet it down)

so now i just gotta make a run through the scales now to see what i weigh in at.

stock DX weight is about 2400 lbs

when i had everything at stock, stock dx motor, subs and amps in.. it weighed in at a HEAVY 3007 lbs w/driver (i weigh 205)

Wow, 2800 lbs is heavy for a Civic. At least you dropped all that weight off of your car.

I would take off the quaters and mold fiberglass ones, rip out all the seats. the dash the carpet and all the ac components. Replace the seat with a lightweight racing seat, make a basic dash out of sheet metal. Take out all the power steering components. Replace the fuel tank with a plastic fuel cell. Cut the interior of the doors out and weld them shut take out all of the windows and replace the front and back with plexiglass and the sides with nets. Replace the hood/trunk with fiberglass moled ones. I think that's about it.

You still added weight by moving the battery to the back. Battery cable weighs morth than you think.

Battery cable is heavy, but, beyond the weight reduction benefit, there will be a weight distribution benefit to having it in the rear, driver's side. This benefit may be negated due to the switch to a 7 lb. battery though. :eek:

You people have fat cars. Power steering removal would be the most benefical if you swap to a manual steering rack. It weighs probably 10-15 lbs less than a power steering rack, plus the pump and assorted hoses, plus the static fluid weight. Some may scoff at the little things but they really do all add up...

They do add up. it just depends how much adding you will be doing. if you pull the p/s, then keep with it. take all the carpet and plastic crap out of your trunk, take out your back seat and the carpet, all the stock sound deadening foam crap on your floor boards. then get a carbon fiber hood, deck lid, and you could even go with the roof as someone said earlier. that should cut a lot of weight.

Wow, 2800 lbs is heavy for a Civic. At least you dropped all that weight off of your car.

ya that was with all the audio junk in the trunk. i would like to try and get this thing down to 2300 MAX with the essential for street comfort.

i just swapped out my rear Upper and Lower Control Arms to finish off my suspension. but im getting sick of the 17's rubbin on the fenderliners. Anyone know of a good coilover without breaking the bank?

back to weight reduction.. been thinking about putting on a carbon fiber trunk and hood on my 96 civic coupe. i had a CF hood on my CRX and loved it.. anyone think the weight change is worth the softness of CF parts?

ive never tried a trunk swap before, anyone know the weight of the 2?

back to weight reduction.. been thinking about putting on a carbon fiber trunk and hood on my 96 civic coupe. i had a CF hood on my CRX and loved it.. anyone think the weight change is worth the softness of CF parts?

Good dry carbon fiber is not soft and defeinitely worth the weight drop. My buddy bought a CF hood for his 944 turbo. He still has the stock hood, which weighs all of like 10 lbs, maybe. The CF variant is like 3 lbs. It is just a shell to cover the motor. Nothing more. I say, if your state doesn't require a hood, rip that shit off!

i should get a cf hood, too bad they are expensive

ya that was with all the audio junk in the trunk. i would like to try and get this thing down to 2300 MAX with the essential for street comfort.

i just swapped out my rear Upper and Lower Control Arms to finish off my suspension. but im getting sick of the 17's rubbin on the fenderliners. Anyone know of a good coilover without breaking the bank?

If you're looking to drop some weight you could always go with smaller wheels...

If you're looking to drop some weight you could always go with smaller wheels...

2 things. 1, the 17s i had (and you can research this) were BSA 315's. the wheel it self weighs 12 lbs. kinda hard to top that. and 2, i just sold them for $575 and put on my 14" '90 crx si wheels. they actually weigh more then my 17's did.. i was kinda :eek:.

id rather have 18lbs 15 14 inch rims that 17s that are 13lbs,,the size matter also not just the weight

id rather have 18lbs 15 14 inch rims that 17s that are 13lbs,,the size matter also not just the weight

sure, but when the overall diameter is smaller on the 17 then my 14's... nah ill pass. less sidewall flex, better tire designs and compounds, better looks.

but sadly, i gave in and sold them and am looking to pick up some GSR blades that have azensis tires on them for 600...:thumbsup:

Back