Weight Training

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Up your protein to your weight goal. Increase your carbohydrate and fat intake. Increase your greens. Spaghetti and meatballs is your friend, and so are bagels and cream cheese. Look to break 4k a day in calories. Water water water. Creatine. whey protein if you can't get a protein heavy snack in, and casein before you sleep.

I didnt think about bagels, thanks. So, aside from bagels and cream cheese and PB&J what other snacks can I eat that are loaded with protien? Ive got the meals worked out, its the snacks that Im havin trouble settin up.

Just dont forget the legs. I dont know how many people come in to the gym and work just there upper boddy.

Wont be an issue lol.

^^ The martini glass effect. Dudes get all big upper bodies, and ignore or seriously undercut the leg exercises. You could chop them down like a tree with a good leg kick. I'm in the same boat as you, 5'8" and about 140lbs. I am a kung fu practitioner, so I'm doing very intense exercise (cardio, flexibility, strength and endurance) daily for 3+ hours, not including teaching class/demonstration. Gaining weight has been an uphill battle to say the very least for me. On top of that, I'm lactose intolerant and severely allergic to milk protein. (I found that out after drinking a lactose free whey protein shake and ended up in the hospital.) I have taken all kinds of weight gainer products/supplements and I've always eaten ungodly amounts of healthy food. I had a protein deficiency basically. Sure, I was eating a lot, but nowhere NEAR enough to match the daily caloric burn that I have, a lightning fast metabolism, and empty pockets. What saved me was a new job and egg protein. I eat about 6 meals a day (3 main meals, all large) and in between meals, a protein shake + granola bar (or some other carb). In addition to kung fu, I incorporated some heavy weight lifting. I put on about 8 lbs in a couple months which has been the biggest weight increase I've ever experienced. I felt like I got hit by a truck every day, but I did bulk up a bit. Since then, I've started my student instructor classes again (May-Nov) and I've shed off almost all the damn weight I gained. But I've been able to hang onto a few of those lbs.

When I became a student instructor at kung fu I was 135. I dropped weight (shed basically ALL fat I carried, however little it was) to about 127. Over the last 3.5 years I've gotten up to 140 without the weight regimen. My highest weigh-in to date has been 151, but I'm hovering around 145 again since my training intensity has gone way up. I have less than 6% body fat. I freeze my ass off in mild weather now, hahaha.

So you eat 3 large meals, and the other 3 are protien shakes and granola bars?

Once again, the protein and the snacks are hard for me to understand. This is all still new to me.

So you eat 3 large meals, and the other 3 are protien shakes and granola bars?

Once again, the protein and the snacks are hard for me to understand. This is all still new to me.

thats pretty close. the real goal is to eat your target body weight in grams of protein. you want to be 160, eat 160 grams of protein.

you can do a lean bulk or a true bulk.

a lean bulk is eating really healthy, firm diet. low fat, reasonable calorie intake, tons of protein. it will take a little bit longer, but you wont have much extra weight.

a true bulk (which i don't do) is eating a ton of calories, lots of protein drinks, supplements, and eating stuff like red meat that is high in protein, but also calories. then, when you get above your target weight, you "cut". which means really lean out. lean protein, lots of veggies, calorie cut and lots of cardio.

i dont' like drinking too much protein, it makes me bloated. and it happens to a lot of people. i'll feel and look "bigger", but you can get rid of that in a month, then you wont feel like you have gotten the same results.

:cliffs:
set target weight
eat that much protein
eat either lean calories or be a garbage disposal

There are a lot of twigs on here. I am 5'8" and 165-170 pounds. I have a small gut and am not built.

Tried hittin my 4K calories and 150 grams of protien yesterday. Its gunna be tricky lol.

Yeah, it's like an "in-between meal" to keep your body full of the nutrients it needs to build muscle (protein). You want a surplus of muscle building nutrients in your body, so taking in more than it burns. If you can do a BMI (body mass index) measurement, it might give you an idea of where you are - body weight, lean mass, body fat percentage. From there, you can decide if you want to approach weight gain in a lean way or the garbage disposal way. I go the garbage disposal way because quite frankly, a couple extra twinkies would probably do me some good! I just have to be careful of what I eat due to milk allergies, so I can't take in just anything and everything. Sadly enough, the cheap protein drinks / bars are milk based so that puts a cap on what I can eat.

Good luck! Just make sure you STICK TO IT. Consistency is necessary.

Im a fat ass now but i used to weight train a lot in highschool, Never really had a "Plan" or a "Diet". I was 511 at 235 lean. now im 511 and weigh 270 and fat lol.

If you want to get in shape just swim to get your stamina and cardio up, Lift what you can dont over do it, and eat lean.

Dont take suplaments if your just starting, will do more damage than good(plus they go to waste). Once you get a healthy weight and can have steady exercise period of 30+ min Then your ready for supplements.

Right now I would recomend Redbulls and protein. Also Stay hydrated! your body shuts down when you dont have engough water.

Yeah, it's like an "in-between meal" to keep your body full of the nutrients it needs to build muscle (protein). You want a surplus of muscle building nutrients in your body, so taking in more than it burns. If you can do a BMI (body mass index) measurement, it might give you an idea of where you are - body weight, lean mass, body fat percentage. From there, you can decide if you want to approach weight gain in a lean way or the garbage disposal way. I go the garbage disposal way because quite frankly, a couple extra twinkies would probably do me some good! I just have to be careful of what I eat due to milk allergies, so I can't take in just anything and everything. Sadly enough, the cheap protein drinks / bars are milk based so that puts a cap on what I can eat.

Good luck! Just make sure you STICK TO IT. Consistency is necessary.

What the "Garbage Disposal" approach? Just eatin anything?

jeebus, im 5'10"on a good day.. and 170lbs?
im not big, but im not a twig either lol

That's about where I am. I'm between 5'10" and 5"11", and 170 lbs. I look pretty skinny when dressed, but I have a little bit of a gut that I could still stand to lose. Ideally I'd like to be around 160 lbs. According to BMI I'm technically overweight at 170, and 160 would just barely be acceptable, but I'm not too worried about it since I lift.

I'm very happy with where I'm at right now though. Three months ago I weighed 207!

wtf? 207?

how did you lose 30lbs in 3 months?

more oddly, how did you get so fat?

Yep, 207. As for how I lost it, my girlfriend works for this diet place called Medical Weight Loss (I think it's only in MI and OH right now) and I did their diet. It's mostly just high protein and portion control. It really works. I consistently lost 3-4 lbs a week and my blood pressure is way down (the diet is no salt added, so that probably helped with the BP).

As for how I got that fat, I really don't know, lol. Just let myself go over the past few years I guess. Too many carbs, too much sugar, not enough protein, and not enough exercise. The really sad part is, I was actually at 225ish at one point, and I did get off my ass and lose twenty pounds at that point just by exercising.

This is the skinniest I've been since high school though. I went from a tight-fitting 36" waist to a loose-fitting 32"...

EDIT: I'll post up some before and afters later...

Back