1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Weird idling

Discussion in 'HYBRID -> ED-EF / DA' started by 90sihatch, Oct 23, 2005.

1. 90sihatch

90sihatch Senior Member

On startup my 92 ls motor will rev to about 2 grand, stay there until the car warms up, and then idle at anywhere from 500 to 1000. There are no open vacuums , and the car runs fine, its just very annoying because the hasports rattle so bad when it idles that high. anyone know what would cause this or how to fix it?

2. reikoshea

reikoshea HS Troll...And Mod Moderator VIP

3. 90sihatch

90sihatch Senior Member

it doesnt do the normal up and down constanly though, it will start high, and once it gets low it will stay there. The only reason I care is because sometimes it will idle low enough that it almost dies. Would this still be the problem?

4. phyregod

phyregod !!YTINASNI

Sounds like it could be your fast idle thermo valve (FITV)

There is a large white plastic "screw" that works its way out over time. Take off the inspection plate and tighten it up. That may be your problem.

5. 90sihatch

90sihatch Senior Member

sorry, but where is that?

6. 90sihatch

90sihatch Senior Member

ok i took that off and cleaned it last night, and got no results. the car still idles really low after it is warmed up. I adjusted the idle screw with little happening, any other suggestions?

7. phyregod

phyregod !!YTINASNI

Did you try tightening the screw in the FITV? Its right under the throttle body. And you have to connect the service connector and disconnect the TPS to change the idle. If you just play with the screw you will screw it up. Also, you should get a digital tach for accuracy. The higher end timing lights have em.

8. 90sihatch

90sihatch Senior Member

tightened it last night and it made a huge difference. the car doesn't idle really high any more, but it still goes really low, is it normal for it to drop WAY down when you put the clutch in then go back up? Also i think i might have messed up my IAC. We couldn't get the sensor off so we sprayed the screen with choke cleaner anyway and now when it idles it kind of has a stutter. I have the one from the si motor, would that work?

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted