weird problem: sputtering at low rpms trying to accelerate

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

confusatron

This just started happening today on the way to work. I shift into first at a normal rpm, and the car is sputtering and spitting, then after like 3k rpm, its as strong as ever and roars thru the rpms. It does this inconsistently. Sometimes its like the problems not there, then at the next stop sign, it does it all over again. If I stop and park right after a particularly bad sputter session, the idle is uneven and dips down to 500 rpm up and down sometimes. At first I thought it was an exhaust leak, but checking every connection from the cat back showed all the bolts were as tight as possible. The only other place it could leak is at the exhaust manifold, which I was unable to tell if it was leaking or not.

I'm aware that it could also very well be an electrical or fuel delivery problem, but I can't check that stuff at the moment. I guess I'll have my mechanic look at it tomorrow, but this was so weird how it came out of nowhere, right after I had just got it running perfect with the vtec oil pressure sensor fixed and the VSS fixed. Like went from running ferocious to almost dying half the time, in about 24 hours flat.

i hope you figure it out...mine is doing the same damn thing (AGAIN) and i have yet to figure it out...ive been working on this for the better part of 3 months every weekend.

sounds electrical. perhaps the alternator is going on you. It would explain why it runs better at higher rpm's. but cant be sure till you test it.

IT IS YOUR o2 SENSOR
:)
My predatorlude did the SAME thing exactly.
Change it :)
I had to change 2, and that sucked :cry:

if that doesnt work check your distributor cap and button(rotor). Check your plugs as well. I see you havea B16. It's the obd1 one, correct? So, you dont use two O2 sensors....enlighten us on what ecu and type b16 you have please.

Quoted post[/post]]
IT IS YOUR o2 SENSOR
:)
My predatorlude did the SAME thing exactly.
Change it :)
I had to change 2, and that sucked :cry:

The O2 sensor is brand new, so I dunno. I have no CEL codes anymore, and I would think it would throw one if it was bad, but then again I don't know for sure. The thing is this particular 02 sensor has been on the pipe since I did the swap, I used the new one I had just put on my old D15. I checked part numbers online for universal Bosch O2 sensors for the B16A2 and they were the same number as the one for the D15. So I figured naturally it would swap over just fine. Again, no CEL codes. Did yours throw a CEL code while you were having this problem?

Quoted post[/post]]
if that doesnt work check your distributor cap and button(rotor). Check your plugs as well. I see you havea B16. It's the obd1 one, correct? So, you dont use two O2 sensors....enlighten us on what ecu and type b16 you have please.

I have just the one 02 sensor, its the B16A SiRII. I checked the dist cap and rotor today, there was some corrosion on the plug pins inside the cap, but I scraped most of it off. I had just gotten ten bucks worth of gas right before I left for work adn this started happening, so my mechanic advised me to try a bottle of STP water remover in the gas tank, just in case I got some water in the gas, and I did. I'm gonna drive it for the rest of today and maybe tomorrow and see if that does the trick.

Oil/Water/Condensation down in the spark plug holes. Also, examine the plug wires closely for where the spark could be arcing out to a ground; ESPECIALLY with aftermarket plug wires.

<span style="font-size:18pt;line-height:100%">FIXED!</span>

I drove the car to work at 3pm, sputtering and spitting and all. I let it sit till around 8pm. I then started her up and took her for a ride for about 15 minutes. No sputtering. I drove her home at 1130, no sputtering at all. So that bottle of STP Water Remover did the trick, and it was just a shitload of water in the last batch of gas I got. It's so weird, because I've heard of this before, but never in all the years I've been driving, have I experienced it.

So the moral of the story is, the rest of you guys having this problem should give the Water Remover a try.

trying friday...my car is at a friend's shop, just sitting there...wont make it out there till friday.

Glad you got it fixed.
(BTW: when my o2 sensor was broken it did not throw a CEL, but it (or both?) was the problem)

Well what is it supposed to be. i have mine set at 35 idle and about 40 WOT...does that sound right?

From what ive read, 40 psi at idle, also that is with the vacuum line dis-connected. Someone called aem and that is what they told them. (Someone from this site, and posted it)

Quoted post[/post]]
From what ive read, 40 psi at idle, also that is with the vacuum line dis-connected. Someone called aem and that is what they told them. (Someone from this site, and posted it)

Is that the vacuum from the AFR to the IM?

WOW!!!!!...I was just gonna post something on this at this exact min...I CANT EVENS PULL OUT WITHOUT IT LIKE STALLING...I dont get it also...The CEL isnt on...Maybe I got water in my gas too...if not...im gonna change the plugs and cap and rotor...Also whats the stock exhaust mani made out of? And can I use any honda O2? It might be my O2...Anywhere I can get one cheap??? And its a 94 VX Oh and what kinda water remover did you use?? THANKS guyss!!!

Quoted post[/post]]
WOW!!!!!...I was just gonna post something on this at this exact min...I CANT EVENS PULL OUT WITHOUT IT LIKE STALLING...I dont get it also...The CEL isnt on...Maybe I got water in my gas too...if not...im gonna change the plugs and cap and rotor...Also whats the stock exhaust mani made out of? And can I use any honda O2? It might be my O2...Anywhere I can get one cheap??? And its a 94 VX Oh and what kinda water remover did you use?? THANKS guyss!!!

STP Water Remover. $3 at K-Mart. Says "Made with Jet Fuel" on the bottle. Boner. :ph34r:

Do yous think that if the manis cracked near the o2 sensor...Would that make it studder/sputtering and act up when trying to pull out at the lower rpms??? When it gets the the higher rpms it runs fine and real smooth...I kinda dont really understand the problem...any suggestions?? Any help would be awesome!!!! HELP HONDASWAP!!!!!

Dude, ive asked this question a dozen times, and has yet to be answered. just wait, we might get a new member that maraculously knows the answer.

Back