weird problem: sputtering at low rpms trying to accelerate

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I know...I feel your pain...Just gotta keep this motor untill I get money to bulild a turbo Z6...I just hope someone can help us out someday!!!!!! later

Quoted post[/post]]
From what ive read, 40 psi at idle, also that is with the vacuum line dis-connected. Someone called aem and that is what they told them. (Someone from this site, and posted it)

My stock idle fuel pressure is ~38psi. not sure on the WOT.

i just checked it by hitting the throttle on the IM...i totally forgot it was there at first...i felt stupid when my buddy told me that.

CONFUSATRON: did your car only do it when it was warm? When my cars cold...It does not do it...but when the temp goes up then it acts sooooooooooooo stupid...Thanks

Quoted post[/post]]
CONFUSATRON: did your car only do it when it was warm? When my cars cold...It does not do it...but when the temp goes up then it acts sooooooooooooo stupid...Thanks

Have any type of fuel management on your car? Sounds like its getting lean. Coolant temp sensor can also cause the probelm. If thats it, it would be the one on the head that sends signal to the ecm. Not the one on the trottle body and not the smallest sensor on the side of the head that reads coolant temp for the gauge in the car.

REALLY!!!? I get an intermittant code for ECT Sensor, and my car will read hot, but if i turn the engine off and back on real quick, it goes back to normal (immediately)

eicivic: No other type of fuel management...other than stock...How can I check if the o2 sensor is good?? I tryed the water remover...still does it...Could it be when the dizzy gets warm that it cuts in and out?? B/c when I put a timing light on it...(After it was warmed up for 15 mins)...The idle drops and goes up like 500-1000 rpms then the light cuts in and out then when I hold the throttle steady..Its fine...only off idle it don't run right and I just wanna find the problem but its like imposible...any help??

Quoted post[/post]]

Yes. After a minute or so of driving after it sat cold for a while. Then it started with the sputtering. Check your alternator, or take it somewhere you can have it tested. My Camry did the same thing and all it needed was a new alternator. And yeah it didn't start sputtering till it warmed up. After I put the new alt in, and a new battery too because the alt killed it, the car ran perfect again. Auto Zone will test your alt for free if you pull it off the car and bring it in, or you can drive there (if possible) and have them test it while its on your car.

But...I dont understand why would the alternator cause this? Im not like saying your wrong but..its not entering my brain like it should..The battery lites never on...and always fully charged...And do you know how i can test mine with a meter? Thanks buddy!

Quoted post[/post]]
But...I dont understand why would the alternator cause this? Im not like saying your wrong but..its not entering my brain like it should..The battery lites never on...and always fully charged...And do you know how i can test mine with a meter? Thanks buddy!

I don't know how you can test it yourself. Check with a Haynes or Helms manual. My battery light only came on in certain instances. Mostly I just had the sputtering idle and sputtering revs. I didn't think it could be the alternator on mine either. I believed the rotten ass dishonest Toyota dealer who told me I had a leaking head gasket and the coolant was fouling the spark plugs. Then the honest mechanic I found a short time later told me to check the alternator, because that's what the problem sounded like to him. He was right.

I'm not saying that's your problem, but check it out, it's worth a shot.

Back