weird stuff with my del sol

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

micah

alright so the other day i drive my sol home and jump into my other car and leave. while leaving i noticed my brake lights were on. well 3 days later ive tried everything i can think of and i cant get my brake lights to turn off. i have to unhook my battery so o it doesnt die.

i also just noticed yesterday that my clock in my dash isnt coming on anymore and also cruise control wont work.
i figure i have a sensor somewhere thats registering my brakelights and thats probably whats stopping my cruise control from engaging.
my brakes feel fine though, they arent spongy, they arent always engaged, they are normal.

an unrelated issue - my aux lights burned out a few years ago and i just never replaced them. well ive put new bulbs in now and they still wont come on. ive checked all the fuses, ive pulled the switches out of the dash and checked the wiring and everything looks good.

any ideas?

-edit fixed the aux lights. all the fuses were fine by the aux light fuse must have fell out, it wasnt there at all ;)

still need help with brake lights though.

Last edited:
when your brake pedal is fully disengaged there is a button that it hits and that turns off the brake lights.
my brake pedal is hitting the button, but i guess not hard enough?
i cant pull the brake pedal up any further its not stuck or restricted. i can push the button in with my finger and it will turn the lights off. is there supposed to be something on the pedal that pushes into it? something that possibly could have fallen out?

havent been able to test cruise control yet, but the clock in the dash still wont come on :(

Sometimes that switch will get stuck in some. See if you can actually pull the switch part out some. These are prone to going bad. Another thing to check quickly is pull the fuse for the brake lights to see if they go out. Might be easier than unhooking the battery. If they dont go out when you pull the fuse then you have a short to power with another circuit. Pull fuses until they go out. Keep me updated and ill help you troubleshoot.

P.S. If you know anyone with a spare manual JDMP13 ecu that works and they want to sell please let me know.

install a new button or other

Above the steering wheel column there is a microswitch mounted to a bracket that turns the brake lights on or off. If the stock plastic button that is attached to the brake pedal falls apart (the one that contacts the plunger on the switch when the brake pedal is released, or not depressed), the brake lights will come on.
Either get a new button from honda, or tape a quarter to the bracket between the switch to depress the switch untill you make a permanent fix.

my gf had this problem with her car.
in some cars theres a small rubber finger that sticks out of the brake pedal that hit the button. look at the pedal lever where its supposed to make contact with the button, and check to see if theres a little hole in that spot. if so, then thats your problem.
the switch though can be easily postitioned to where the lever will push it.
there should be a bolt about 17mm holding the switch in place. break that bold loose and the whole switch should be able to screw in and out. adjust it toward the lever until the brake lights cut off. then tighten the bolt down to hold it in place. easier done than said really.
if you've already been down there then you should know what im talking about.

Back