weird wiring stuff

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

quickieinajiffy

hey everyone.. so i have something really weird going on with my 91 integra..

it starts up fine, but when i go to turn on my headlights or a/c, the rpm's die down and then stalls the motor..

also, my stereo will turn on when the key is in the "accessory" position, but turns off when the key is in the "run" position.

i looked underneath the dash, and all the wires looked fine, the next thing i'll probably end up doing is taking the dash out and looking for shorts/crapped out wires.

anyone have any ideas of what it might be?

dont know about motor prob but stereo kinda sounds like someone hacked wires and ran your switched 12v to your starter signal wire get a diggi multi and check it out or just re run your power wires.... its not hard one wire conctant12v to obviously a constant source like possible cig lighter will work temporary if ya dont wanna run one from batt or your fuse block where stereo fuse is and the ignition just look for something thats 12v when cars runnin but off when its not

What RPM does your motor idle at?
If it's too low, the draw on the alternater makes it harder to turn causing resistance. Same with your compressor..
I'd check the output of the alt and battery.
Remember that the water evaporates leaving the acid to not cool enough and the plates overheat causing them to warp and touch, thus killing that cell and making the battery less efficient.
Check water/acid level in battery and then the output of alt.
Even the tension of the belts..
E

thanks guys..
when the wiring was done for the head unit they ran a hot wire straight through the firewall to the battery, and it seemed to work fine.. when my battery caught on fire, it melted a bunch of those wires, so i re-routed it to the fuse box under the hood.. it all seemed to work fine (headlights were normal, stereo was normal) until i went to jump the car to start it up.. i noticed smoke coming up from what looked like the steering column or right in front of the guages, so i shut off the charger without trying to start it.

so i checked the grounds and found that the ground from the battery to the transmission was bad so i cleaned it up and tried again.. no smoke, but all those problems came up. so i'm thinking i effed something up under the dash maybe? i ripped apart the dash and none of the wires look cooked so i'm stuck.. could it be one of the relays or switches? or even more than one, since it affected the stereo too?

and i know the alternator is not hooked up properly because its an obd2 alternator and plug spliced into obd0 wiring harness.. as soon as i have the money i'm going to get a new alternator and fix that. i think that might be why the engine boggs when it hits vtec..

when the motor is cold, it idles a little over 500 rpm, but when it's warmed up a bit, it idles at 1k.. ecu is throwing a code 14 which is the idle air control valve or whatever and i tested that.. the plug is good but i think the solonoid is bad

oh and the battery is an optima redtop so i shouldnt have to worry about water/acid levels right?

and the alternator pully is tight as hell :/

might be the car is telling you not to get the spoiler?....lol jk. sounds like something is not wired correctly did it work ever or have you had this problem sine you re-routed the wires?

haha.. maybe that's what it is lol.. but no, everything worked fine before the fire.. all i really did was cut the wires back to where they werent melted and spliced new plugs to everything.. i went to the junk yard and pulled the harness off of one of those cars and just replaced what i needed to..

when i first went to jump the car (new battery) smoke started to come out from right behind the steering wheel.. so what my thought was, i fried something around there due to a bad ground.. so i think i fixed all my grounds, but i dont see anything thats melted under the dash.. could it be a short somewhere by the ignition switch or the headlight switch on the steering column?

Back