welders?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

mattcalica

okay, for people that weld...would this craftsman welder be good enough? i am looking for something to weld steel and maybe a little aluminum, and this welder says it can weld both....what do you guys think?

my cousin has a welder by craftsmen thats looks very similiar at his shop....he's never complain about it, atleast to me....seems like it gets the job done

I doubt you'll be able to weld aluminum without a spool gun and a tank of argon, but i could be wrong.

-that's a good welder for the money, welding aluminum isn't going to be easy with that gun without some practice, and I agree that you're going to want a spool gun and 100% argon if you're going to do it- Welding steel with that welder won't be any problem at all with flux core or with gas-

-what are you planning on doing with this unit? because over a sears model I'd have to recommend one of the two big names lincoln electric or miller electric (hobart)- granted the lincoln unit similar to this is about 500 bills and so is a comparable miller

-i spent about 100 dollars on a cheap ass century flux cored mig welder and it shows- i mean, the thing can run a bead but it's tough to get the settings right and the heat is not infinitely adjustable, only has a high and low setting so i'm constantly fucking with wire speed to get a good bead- welding with my friends lincoln MIG with gas is like night and day compared to my unit- basically what i'm trying to say is that you get what pay for when it comes to the big name welders IMO

see, the reason i want a sears unit is for one, price, and secondly, i dont know of any lincoln or miller dealers here in hawaii...so i know i will have to pay an arm and a leg just to ship the bitch here. so i think i will just go with the craftsman.

ohhhhhhhh, makes sense- i didn't realize that you = hawaii

then yes, i would go with that- hey make sure that you have a place to get wire and get yer bottles filled y0

sears sells hobart which is made my miller, and is also a much better welder than any craftsman will ever be. In that link u poste there is a hobart 125 on the bottom of the page for 350 i would strongly sugest one of these, you will be much hapier with it in the long run. I have the next step up from that hobart (220 rather than 110) and it welds great and i love it. Havent had a prob with it yet

yeah that's what i was going to say- except that hobart doesn't come with hook ups for gas and doesn't come with a cart- i wasn't sure what he was looking for, but if it was up to me, i'd pick up the hobart and buy the gas fittings and bottle- miller (hobart) is good shit and will def. be my next welder, although hopefully it'll be a TIG

Back