1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

welders?

Discussion in 'Members' Lounge' started by mattcalica, Apr 14, 2004.

1. mattcalica

mattcalica Senior Member

okay, for people that weld...would this craftsman welder be good enough? i am looking for something to weld steel and maybe a little aluminum, and this welder says it can weld both....what do you guys think?

2. h22bubbleback

h22bubbleback Senior Member

my cousin has a welder by craftsmen thats looks very similiar at his shop....he's never complain about it, atleast to me....seems like it gets the job done

3. swanny

swanny Senior Member

I doubt you'll be able to weld aluminum without a spool gun and a tank of argon, but i could be wrong.

4. Slammed90Lude

Slammed90Lude Senior Member

-that's a good welder for the money, welding aluminum isn't going to be easy with that gun without some practice, and I agree that you're going to want a spool gun and 100% argon if you're going to do it- Welding steel with that welder won't be any problem at all with flux core or with gas-

-what are you planning on doing with this unit? because over a sears model I'd have to recommend one of the two big names lincoln electric or miller electric (hobart)- granted the lincoln unit similar to this is about 500 bills and so is a comparable miller

-i spent about 100 dollars on a cheap ass century flux cored mig welder and it shows- i mean, the thing can run a bead but it's tough to get the settings right and the heat is not infinitely adjustable, only has a high and low setting so i'm constantly fucking with wire speed to get a good bead- welding with my friends lincoln MIG with gas is like night and day compared to my unit- basically what i'm trying to say is that you get what pay for when it comes to the big name welders IMO

5. mattcalica

mattcalica Senior Member

see, the reason i want a sears unit is for one, price, and secondly, i dont know of any lincoln or miller dealers here in hawaii...so i know i will have to pay an arm and a leg just to ship the bitch here. so i think i will just go with the craftsman.

6. Slammed90Lude

ohhhhhhhh, makes sense- i didn't realize that you = hawaii

then yes, i would go with that- hey make sure that you have a place to get wire and get yer bottles filled y0

7. driver1

driver1 Senior Member

sears sells hobart which is made my miller, and is also a much better welder than any craftsman will ever be. In that link u poste there is a hobart 125 on the bottom of the page for 350 i would strongly sugest one of these, you will be much hapier with it in the long run. I have the next step up from that hobart (220 rather than 110) and it welds great and i love it. Havent had a prob with it yet

8. Slammed90Lude

yeah that's what i was going to say- except that hobart doesn't come with hook ups for gas and doesn't come with a cart- i wasn't sure what he was looking for, but if it was up to me, i'd pick up the hobart and buy the gas fittings and bottle- miller (hobart) is good shit and will def. be my next welder, although hopefully it'll be a TIG

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted