welding engine pulley

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

jaylo

just wondering if anybody has ever welded the crankshaft pulley directly to the crankshaft. The end of mine where the key goes in broke a chunk out of it so the pulley will not stay on now. I wanted to weld it as a temporary fix since I really don't know how to pull the whole crankshaft and replace it or buy a new engine. Just an idea I had.

give it a shot.

we were going to do this on the black car but dave drove it home and ended up losing the timing belt intead :) $320 later we bought a whole running/driving parts car.

Welding is a crappy idea as far as long term repairabilitiy. They cant machine your crank with that pulley welded to it.

But hey, weld it up and call it a day. When that motor eats it, toss it or buy a new crank.

Couple of quick thoughts: Do not let it get too hot. You'll destroy your main seal. Take your time, let it cool alot. Make absofreakinlutely certain that the crank n pully are aligned before you do it. And you might want to chop up your timing belt cover now, so its removable later. Otherwise you'll have hell changing your timing belt.

Junkyard warz ftw.

I think I might try this, just as a temporary fix until I can buy a new engine, unless I sell the car as it is.

as a last resort weld it, reason being that itll be off balance and will wreck the whole engine if you don't do it 99% perfect.

the crankshaft is basically shot tho if you took a chunk out of it, I have seen them fixed before with mixed results. You would have to get it fixed at a machine shop.
if you only took a chunk out of the pulley, just get a new pulley and keeper.

no I took a chunk out of the Crankshaft so yeah it is trashed. I was just gonna weld it until I could get a new engine put in it which would be as soon as I get my taxes back.

Back