Welding

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Z6CRX

übber ɐɾuıu etarip
I'm using a gasless mig (it has a gas hookup though) welder to fix the exhaust hole in my BMW and welded back up the midpipe after the cat on an F150 at 1am.

Now is there any trick to getting the underside of the exhaust while its still on the car other than tacking the crap out of it and slowly closing up all the little gaps? Cause the slag keeps dropping, and its collecting like a raindrop on the underside. It's a pain to take some exhausts out sometimes and welding stuff on the underside has never been easy for me.

I would try slowing down the wire feed to let the metal cool before more is added. That might work. It is just plain tough to weld upside down.

Gotta start at the highest point of the weld and work down, towards the ground. And if the weld is poolin up on itself and fallin off the base metal, you need to make sure the base metal is clean and that your voltage is high enough.

pretty much I started from the top, and went to the bottom. The metal was really, clean by the time i was done with the wire brush, probably just going to be slowing it down to cool it down a bit, so it doesn't draw it all into one spot.

thanks for the input ^_^

Sounds like the wire speed is too much. Exhausts are tricky to weld on the car with a MIG, I honestly prefer oxy-acetelyne after I tried it.

Lower your amps to bring down heat and weld in a star shape and drag the weld a lil faster than normal.

It takes a lot of practace but in the end you will get it....plus flux core welders suck but they get the job done.

flux welders do suck and you might have to stitch it back and forth from one side to the other like ur lacing a shoejust back and forth from the base metal to the metal your welding

flux in this case. not using the gas on the exhaust because i have to rent or buy a tank for it, I have yet to track down a good place around here for it.

Argon sheild will make life much easier.
it would, but I'm not doing anything that requires and significant structure. Along with the fact I don't have any right now.

I will be picking up later when I decide on a certain project I'm hoping to start. I just need a VW bug front suspension and steering to clue people in.

For those who can guess I'll be getting some metal samples and checking weld penetration with my current welder and my consistency, along with a better source of income before going forward with it. It will be another thread entirely.

I will be picking up later when I decide on a certain project I'm hoping to start. I just need a VW bug front suspension and steering to clue people in.
I have one, but I couldnt imagine what shipping would be as its heavy as hell.

I have one, but I couldnt imagine what shipping would be as its heavy as hell.
ill just throw some tires on it and strap it to my bike and ride it back ;)

Once summertime hits I'll let you know, your only like 100 miles away. it also depends on what your looking for it and condition.

Back