Well, I fixed the LS in my CRX

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

MugenCRX

Well back in January, right after I had gotten my CRX painted, it spun the #1 and 2 rod bearings. Well just this last week, I had gotten around to it to finally try and fix the LS. I put all new rod bearings in it, a new oilpump, timing belt, pan and gasket. I got her all put back together and she fired on the first crank. OH MAN, was I the happiest little camper. So I let her run for like 15 minutes just at idle to see if anything happened, nothing. So I am like, alright, I am going to drive her. I take her out, never take it above like 2300rpms and within 5 mins, BOOM!!!

A loud explosion sound, and enough smoke to make a chimney jealous. I knew what had happened. And I was right.
gallery_16339_7_1092268243.jpg

gallery_16339_7_1092268579.jpg

It was the #2 cylinder. I think that mabey the rod was cracked from the first time the motor locked up, but I don't know. I had only planned on getting the LS running just to get me by, until I finish the Type-R build, and because I was tired of not being able to drive my car for 8 months. So you tell me if it was worth it...

Parts - $300
Labor - 1 week
Five minutes in your lifes passion - Priceless

damn, im sorry that really sucks man. :sad:

i would have cried if i were you.....

:oops: somebody got :secret: ..........

pwned

Sorry to hear about that. Now I don't feel so bad that I lost my timing belt tensioner 40,000 miles after I swapped my motor.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Aug 11 2004, 09:21 PM
ouch... thats a good hole.

at least you went out with a bang :D
[post=375662]Quoted post[/post]​

your a funny guy B.. <_<

:eek: Damn.

That fucking blows. I replaced my F22, and two days later it starting knocking louder than a Jehova's witness at your front door. That's when I bought my H22. Turn lemons into lemonade. Get crackalackin on the R- Build. :)

Originally posted by IDMaxGuy@Aug 12 2004, 03:29 AM
Dude you have a hole in your motor.
[post=375854]Quoted post[/post]​

b can take a lesson from you.. that was actually funny!!!

Since you spun a rod bearing it is not as easy as just replacing hte bearings. You have to have the crakn finished as it scared from teh bearing being spun. Good way to waste all the money.

Hey, how about you shut the fuck up. The motor blew because the rod was cracked, not because the crank was scarred. I replaced the rod bearings only because the crank wasn't scarred. The bearing spun nicely.

Originally posted by brian11to1@Aug 12 2004, 10:42 AM
Since you spun a rod bearing it is not as easy as just replacing hte bearings. You have to have the crakn finished as it scared from teh bearing being spun. Good way to waste all the money.
[post=375995]Quoted post[/post]​

Actually I've seen it done many times on honda's, there is a point where I dont think you could do it (like when the crank has been scarred to shit) but if you stopped driving/running the car right after it spun, dropped the oil pan and replaced the rod bearings it should be fine (for a while). Now, as to how long it lasts, I dont know, but I would think you could probably get another 20-30k out of it depending how you drive it.

Originally posted by unsivil_audio+Aug 12 2004, 02:43 PM-->
brian11to1
@Aug 12 2004, 10:42 AM
[post=375995]Quoted post[/post]​

Actually I've seen it done many times on honda's, there is a point where I dont think you could do it (like when the crank has been scarred to shit) but if you stopped driving/running the car right after it spun, dropped the oil pan and replaced the rod bearings it should be fine (for a while). Now, as to how long it lasts, I dont know, but I would think you could probably get another 20-30k out of it depending how you drive it.
[post=376073]Quoted post[/post]​

Which is exactly what I had planned on doing. Since I work at Goodyear and my cousin is the head tech and he knows his shit, he said that the crank was not scarred bad enough that it wouldnt last for like 20k miles if I babied it. So I planned on only driving it on the weekeds and very slowly.

Back