Well the dastardly has happened

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

totalburnout

VIP
Well, the dastardly has happened...

As anyone who has followed my threads in this forum knows, I just bought an '02 WRB Wrx with 24,500 miles within the last month. Tonight, my heart was broken.

A deer jumped out onto a local "highway" after sitting in an area of dense brush in the center median. I couldn't have hit him in the del slo or the vitara, it had to be my new car that I actually care about. My hood is completely fubared along with some scrapes on the front bumper and possibly a small scrape on the passenger side fender.

No...the deer didn't die, and yes...he ran away or else I'd be having venison for the first time. I hear its very tastey and its also very healthy, right up my alley.

Now the question remains, what do I do now. To carbon fiber, or not to carbon fiber? I love my Suby hoodscoop and would miss that with a carbon fiber hood, but I don't really want a heavy ass stock hood back on the car.

If anyone knows of any good places to get a nice hood from, whether oem or carbon fiber or whatever, please let me know. If I get a carbon fiber hood, I don't want some ghetto shit that doesn't line up properly.

....there's still deer fur on my hood as of right now.

go carbon fiber and a FMIC...im sure you will get a pretty penny from insurance..oh yeah sorry to hear about it

Quoted post[/post]]
go carbon fiber and a FMIC...im sure you will get a pretty penny from insurance..oh yeah sorry to hear about it

http://www.njimprezaclub.com/ has some badass looking subbies with carbon fiber hoods and hood scoops in the intro vid. I think thats the only appealing way - to keep the hoodscoop. I don't know how much that kind of setup will run me, but I figure insurance is probably going to pay out around $1200 minus my $100 deductible. If I eventually got gold, bronze, gun metal, or black rims I think it would compliment the carbon fiber hood a lot.

I'm not planning on going FMIC in the near future, I just don't have the experience under my belt to be doing that kind of work.

Current mods;
Cobb Stage 1 accessECU
Blitz Nur Spec full catback
Cusco Front Strut Bar
Kartboy short shifter kit

Upcoming mods should my finnacial situation stay the same and if I can find somewhere and someone to help me with the work;
Uppipe
Downpipe
Intercooler/Radiator hoses
Cobb AcessPort (its only $100 more to get the port for the accessECU to become an accessPort)
Eibach Pro Spring Kit
Struts - just don't know by who yet
Front/Rear swaybars
Endlinks
Stainless Steel Brake lines
Upgraded front rotors/pads
Lightweight Rims

I figure with this setup, I should be good for 300hp to the flywheel and a nice handeling car as well.

Quoted post[/post]]
cf hood WITH hoodscoop. do it.

Yeah thats the only way I want to do a CF hood is if it has a hood scoop. I want the hood scoop to be functional though, I don't know where I would go about finding one thats a reputable brand. I'm going to take my stock hoodscoop off and keep it because its unscathed.

This is the first thing that came up when I searched for 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX + carbon fiber hood.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/720526

It says he paid $350 for the hood and $40 for the STI hood scoop. Maybe I'll find a deal like that, I don't know if that hood is a piece of garbage and doesn't line up though, its hard to tell. ...but if I get $1200 from insurance and it only costs me $400-$500 then I just found myself extra parts money.

http://www.carbon-fiber-hoods.com/enter.ht...target=d13.html

http://www.alamomotorsports.com/products.h...subaruhood.html

These are nearly double and in some cases more, then what that kid paid for his. These are the kinds of prices I expected.

FUBAR = FUCKED- UP- BEYOND-ALL-RECOCGNITION,

GO FOR THE CARBON ,IT'L INCREASE POWER TO WEIGHT RATIO,BETTER ACCELERATION

just a cf hood is not going to be enough to increase your acceleration by any noticeable amount on the street, lighter is better though and it looks pimp :)

Sorry to hear it man. :cry: Sounds like it could have been worse, though.

Hey: WRX's come with aluminum hoods. :) You don't need to spend the cash on a CF hood - I think you save 5 lbs total. Just replace it with a stocker, if you can find a good price. At least you'll know that a stock hood will fit perfectly, while you never know with a CF dealy.

Quoted post[/post]]
Sorry to hear it man. :cry: Sounds like it could have been worse, though.

Hey: WRX's come with aluminum hoods. :) You don't need to spend the cash on a CF hood - I think you save 5 lbs total. Just replace it with a stocker, if you can find a good price. At least you'll know that a stock hood will fit perfectly, while you never know with a CF dealy.

Really you don't think its going to be a lot lighter? My hood seemed heavy as heck and I think it will be just as cheap to get a carbon fiber hood, probably cheaper, than the stocker. I'm counting on the estimate being like $1200, although if its just as cheap to get the stock hood I'll get that and have a friend with a shop do some very very tiny touch up work with the already mixed paint.

B, I already have modded headlights, its ever so slightly noticeable but I like how they look. I also have the stockers and if I do any conversion its going to be to HIDs but I'll spend the money on performance parts before I ever spend it on the front end conversion. I already have that whole laundry list of parts that I want to upgrade.

Maybe check one of the bigger boards, like i-club or Nasioc, but I think you'll find people will tell you 5-10 pounds is about the difference between the WRX hood and a CF hood. Try comparing your WRX's hood to a, say, Honda hood. You'll notice the difference then. :)

Quoted post[/post]]
Maybe check one of the bigger boards, like i-club or Nasioc, but I think you'll find people will tell you 5-10 pounds is about the difference between the WRX hood and a CF hood. Try comparing your WRX's hood to a, say, Honda hood. You'll notice the difference then. :)

This is a stupid question but...

Does the STI hood fit the regular '02 WRX? I haven't researched it at all yet. B mentioned doing the STI when he was joking about the whole front end conversion, but I do prefer the STI hoodscoop and how the hood looks, hell I just prefer how the STI looks all around. I've seen WRX's with carbon fiber hoods and STI carbon fiber scoops but I don't know if they mixed and matched there.

I found a guy thats in New York selling carbon fiber hoods on NASIOC.

no..
02= bugeye
04/05 = non-bugeye.

different curves, hebce the front end conversion comment :p

We all hate deer. Are you sure you wouldn't want to figure out how to put a FMIC setup on though? I'm not sure about how much air actually gets in through those hood scoops but a TMIC can't possibly get as much cool air hitting it as a FMIC.

Quoted post[/post]]
no..
02= bugeye
04/05 = non-bugeye.

different curves, hebce the front end conversion comment :p

Yeah, I knew but that I didn't ask anyway.

I was just wondering if someone made STI hoods for bugeyes or if the people that have them pieced them together.

Quoted post[/post]]
We all hate deer. Are you sure you wouldn't want to figure out how to put a FMIC setup on though? I'm not sure about how much air actually gets in through those hood scoops but a TMIC can't possibly get as much cool air hitting it as a FMIC.

The TMIC really can't get that much air from the hood scoop. A FMIC would be ideal but I really don't want to shell out the $1000 for just an intercooler. I'll be fine with a top mount and about 300hp to the flywheel like I want.

Check out dyno comp I am not too sure what their website is but I was on a plane this weekend from New Mexico to Cali on my way back from tour and I was looking at the new Sport Compact Car and a guy across from me said he has a STI and this place in Arizona is supposed to be teh ish, but then again I know nothing about Subaru's. Maybe try to google it and check it out, let me know how they are cuz this guy was ranting and raving about them. Sorry to hear what happened.

You can get a JDM v7 ('02-'03) STi hoodscoop, or a knockoff. I have a genuine one. You can get them new for $160 (painted), or used for about half that. They fit right into the '02-'03 hood, whereas a v8 ('04-'05) needs a bunch of ugly fabrication.

Good call on sticking with a TMIC.

Back