Well, this sucks

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

i drive a wrx and i'm a gasaholic...

admitting it is the first step...

edit: and i hate evo's, suv's, wrx's, bush's, cheney's and rove's...

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Aug 22 2005, 08:08 AM
holy shit, i agree with james! 1st time ev4r.

thankfully, hes done in 08.
so from 08 to 12, some other guys has to run...
then in 12, he can campaign again.
[post=543404]Quoted post[/post]​

Psh... you agreed with me once when I said the 99-00 Si tranny is the S4C. I remember. :ph34r:

:p

Originally posted by alaskancodkiller@Aug 23 2005, 09:49 PM
biodiesel is made from old cooking oil, only costs .80/gal. to make your self.
[post=544265]Quoted post[/post]​

The only cost I can forsee is the filters to filter the oil, the tanks to carry it home to filter it and for the tank, and converting the engine to run on the oil.

Otherwise you could run to the back of any fast food restaurant and pick up a big old tub of it for free.

the new procedures only require an additive and you don't have to mess with converting your engine.

Well yeah, but before you had to convert your diesel to run biodiesel. Now you can run biodiesel on a regular diesel engine thanks to the new chemical additive process.

if you're in colder climates you'll also need a seperate tank for the oil, a heater for the tank and a whole seperate fuel system that you switch from the regular diesel to biodiesel once the engine warms up...

A brief overview of what I see:

I'd like to compare the early 70s to now. Then, I'm going to compare today to 1981, then I will compare 2012 to 1981. Then beyond.

In 1973 gas crisis and emissions put a damper on people to start driving some more conservative vehicles. Those vehicles were boring, and even to the point of killing the heart of the automotive industry: The Convertible.

Did you know that in the late 70s to the early 80s - No one made a convertible in this country? Cars were regarded, as my dad was happy to report - Dead. Since 1968 the heart was lost, and those days were over. The queen was Dead, long live the Computer !

Compare and Contrast the early 70s, early 80s and early Century: Gas prices and emissions kick in, put the heat on and everyone throws up their arms and says "The sky is falling!" IT happens all the time. I remember (Being older than you fuckin children here) when Connecticut was to adapt California emissions and we weren't ever going to have a modified car EVER ! And I remember when they were going to "take my Formula away for being too poluting". Did they ? Hardly. And this continues today.

When they banned stereo systems in my town (They did) I had a 1200 watt thumper that I thought for sure was going to get me in trouble. Did it ? No. In fact, cops used to ask me to demostrate it for them, then let me move on. Same will come of these new "no-mod" laws.

That said, lets talk about fuel prices - AGAIN. It's the hottest issue right now, and everyone, everywhere is talking about them. I've been though this before. I remember moving from New Hampshire to Connecticut and seeing $1.45 prices, thinking "Oh my god, I can't actually afford this !" and I even got a bicycle and started looking for jobs near my house.

But you know what happened ? I made it through. I adapted. I did it on the same money ($10 an hour in 1996). I still bought cigarrettes (When they go above $3.50, I'm quitting.. for real) and things went on the same. I stopped going to the bar ... so much :). That was my adaptation.

So I lived through 1981, as a kid, and I lived through 1995, and I'll live through this too.

If you read any of this, read this right here:
Look back in your old Car magazines and try to put yourself in the era. As the cost of things go up, things tend to get a little... conservative. In the mid 70s when we started to welcome Japanese cars to the US, they were made fun of. Little econo-shit boxes that were embarrassing to drive. Then look into the 80s when Puerto Ricans used to make lowriders and hot little sporty sleds. Then into the 90s when we REALLY started to do some amazing things with these cars. That took over 20 years to come to reality, But I think next time will be different. Here is our next comparison:

Today, fuel prices are outrageous, but we have some hope for the future. To me, talk about buying an Insight or Prius is foolish - my 4Runner even gets 30mpg. But after looking at the other list of cars out today, I can see that it's a REAL difference. We've gotten lazy in our engineering and we have accepted cars that get shitty mileage. I think that automakers can do SERIOUSLY better than they do today. Old Maximas used to be 120 hp, but got 30mpg. New ones are what... 290 hp and guzzle 19 mpg? YEah, we're looking at 1969 all over again. Cars will get more conservative, lose the power, and become (just like in the 70s) Boring and not as awe-inspiring. We can see that now with some cars. Then the Prius / Insight thing is just like introducing the Corolla to the US in 1973. It's not a "real" car and we feel that nothing about it justifies it's price tag. We won't buy.

But you wait - Just wait 5 more years. You'll see so many hybrids out there that take less and less juice, and go faster and faster. Lighter weight wheels, some hotter design influences and the like. You'll go from 1973 Corolla KE20 to 1977 Corolla SR-5 Rally edition KE27. The cars will grow into the situation. Then, when prices level off more and we are making more (Just like in 1979) you'll start to find the real excitement to return in FULL swing - You'll see 60mpg cars with 300+ hp. Then, in 2012, when we return to the peak of fuel production and gasoline shoots to $10 a gallon, you'll see another twist - Puerto Ricans starting a craze of modifying electric-hybrids and hydrogen powered electric cars. Then in 2018 you'll have teenagers (YOUR teenagers) in their garages swapping Ono-Sendai hydrogen Bullet motors into their 2014 Fuji-Honda AWD Ballade WRCs.

Isn't that a brighter future painted for us all ?

This isn't just some psuedo-confident painting of the future, this is by looking at trends and history - To get a solid idea of the future. We won't be cruising the wastelands with helmets and spears taking the Juice from camps and road warriors. We will adapt.

You couldn't imagine the horror people back then would have when hearing what we're doing today.

The best is yet to come. Stay Tune®d

-> Steve

Originally posted by Celerity@Aug 25 2005, 04:04 PM
Did you know that in the late 70s to the early 80s - No one made a convertible in this country?
[post=545288]Quoted post[/post]​

80camaro.jpg

1980 Camaro Convertible

79camaro.jpg

1979 Camaro Convertible

79tbird.jpg

1979 Thunderbird Convertible

hrmmmm... :huh:

the Camaros were small shop one-offs and the Thunderbird was a limited edition. Cadillac had convertibles in low numbers too.

The first Convertible after the dry period was the 198(4?) Lebaron Convertible k-body.

Then before that, Cadillac's Eldorado was the last.

Edit: 1982 LeBaron and 1976 Cadillac Eldorado.

6 years of no production Convertible in the US.

Originally posted by Battle Pope@Aug 23 2005, 10:48 PM
the new procedures only require an additive and you don't have to mess with converting your engine.
[post=544291]Quoted post[/post]​

Must be different procedures and way to "convert" the engine then. I was watching the news the other night and the guy told them all he did was pick up the oil, filter it, pump it into his car and drive off. Then said "doesn't cost me a dime". So I'd think there has to be something you convert. The oil he's using is thick, but at 150 degree's it thins out and can be combustible just like diesel.

oil pricces will fall in mid 06. the alberta oil sands project will come online, and the production levels are predicted to be more than enough to supply north america for 30 - 50 plus years.

Unfortunately, that's not how new discoveries work. And oil-shale scrubbing requires massive amounts of water and natural gas. This is no solution.

We are at Peak Oil. The fuel prices will ultimately go to $2.20 in the US, but it won't happen for a while, and it will never be put off "30-50" years even if we find 2 more saudi-sized reservoirs. Demand is too high, as you stated - And it won't go down too easily with cheap gas. And $2.20 is cheap gas.

-> Steve

Back