1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Went to see Tom Petty 5/31/08

Discussion in 'Members' Lounge' started by D16Civic, Jun 3, 2008.

1. D16Civic

D16Civic Matt

So my wife suprised me Saturday night, got a baby sitter for the night, and whisked me off to dinner. After that she said she had a suprise, and proceeded to pull the tickets out of her purse. Needless to say, we had a great time, despite the $8 beers (2) and $40 t shirts (0). Steve Winwood got the show started and sounded great, playing some old Traffic stuff, as well as a couple tracks off his new CD. Never been a huge Winwood fan, but I was really impressed. He definitely got the crowd going. After a brief intermission, Tom came out and played for about 2 hours. It's always nice to see someone live who isn't pushing a new CD, box set, etc. He basically played a greatest hits set, even doing a Wilbury's song (End of the Line). I highly recommend seeing him if you can, the crowd was a mix of young and old, and all had a great time.

2. teggyguy

teggyguy high density foot.

Tom petty....
    That would be awesome im only 20 but I love classic rock. I'd give anything to see RUSH live though.
    Tom petty is tight.
    H8 the $8 beers tho lol

1 person likes this.
  3. Celerity

Celerity Well-Known Member

He sang the whole end of the line ?

Interesting. Hate Petty, LOVE Winwood. Would have loved to hear old Traffic.

4. D16Civic

D16Civic Matt

Indeed he did all the vocals on end of the line. Winwood did the old standards, Dear Mr. Fantasy, Higher Love, etc. Great song off his new album called Dirty City, the CD version has Eric Clapton (one of my favorites) doing the guitar solo, but Winwood rocked it on Saturday.

5. BigJ

BigJ I'm just about that action Boss. VIP

I saw Rush live last summer. It was the Snakes and Arrows Tour, which means they pushed all their new stuff and played 4 classics at the very end of the show. But seeing Neil live was good enough.

Wasn't quite worth the bucks I paid for the show though looking back.

6. dacheat

dacheat ..is grounded.

i love tom petty and rush. i'd totally go see petty, and rush live back in the day was...amazing (roll the bones was the last show i saw of theirs). i'm sure their show is still decent, but geddy's voice is NOT getting better with age. neil peart is a master. completely awe inspiring.

steve winwood reminds me of soft pop radio. but he has some good stuff in the mix.

7. Celerity

Yes, the perfect Rush show last happened in 1986.

8. K2e2vin

K2e2vin Senior Member

Nice! I wanted to go see Petty also but I'm not paying $110 for a lawn-seat ticket.

You don't have to be old to like Petty or classic rock in general; I'm a big fan and I'm only 20 also.

9. lswhitecivic

lswhitecivic Senior Member

So go see them...Rush is playing at Red Rocks Amphitheater tomorrow night.

10. Celerity

Red Rocks, any show at Red Rocks, is worth seeing. Especially this time of the year. If you get a storm behind the stage, it's incredible. The lighting is constant, and it's MILES away. They keep playing.

11. lswhitecivic

lswhitecivic Senior Member

Absolutely. Red Rocks is one of the best venues in the U.S. I saw Dave Matthews there a few years ago and it was just perfect. Having them playing and being able to see the city lights as a backdrop, yet being surrounded by huge red rock monoliths is just fantastic.

12. dacheat

dacheat ..is grounded.

i gotta catch a show there someday :sigh:

13. 92civicb18b1

92civicb18b1 The Trisexual

I went to see Petty about 4-5 years ago, I don't remember much of it but it was a good show nonetheless. This was in my PA days so who knows what I was on when I saw it, guaranteed in the least I was high on pot.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted