Went to see Tom Petty 5/31/08

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

D16Civic

Matt
VIP
So my wife suprised me Saturday night, got a baby sitter for the night, and whisked me off to dinner. After that she said she had a suprise, and proceeded to pull the tickets out of her purse. Needless to say, we had a great time, despite the $8 beers (2) and $40 t shirts (0). Steve Winwood got the show started and sounded great, playing some old Traffic stuff, as well as a couple tracks off his new CD. Never been a huge Winwood fan, but I was really impressed. He definitely got the crowd going. After a brief intermission, Tom came out and played for about 2 hours. It's always nice to see someone live who isn't pushing a new CD, box set, etc. He basically played a greatest hits set, even doing a Wilbury's song (End of the Line). I highly recommend seeing him if you can, the crowd was a mix of young and old, and all had a great time.

Tom petty....
That would be awesome im only 20 but I love classic rock. I'd give anything to see RUSH live though.
Tom petty is tight.
H8 the $8 beers tho lol

He sang the whole end of the line ?

Interesting. Hate Petty, LOVE Winwood. Would have loved to hear old Traffic.

He sang the whole end of the line ?

Interesting. Hate Petty, LOVE Winwood. Would have loved to hear old Traffic.

Indeed he did all the vocals on end of the line. Winwood did the old standards, Dear Mr. Fantasy, Higher Love, etc. Great song off his new album called Dirty City, the CD version has Eric Clapton (one of my favorites) doing the guitar solo, but Winwood rocked it on Saturday.

Tom petty....
That would be awesome im only 20 but I love classic rock. I'd give anything to see RUSH live though.
Tom petty is tight.
H8 the $8 beers tho lol

I saw Rush live last summer. It was the Snakes and Arrows Tour, which means they pushed all their new stuff and played 4 classics at the very end of the show. But seeing Neil live was good enough.

Wasn't quite worth the bucks I paid for the show though looking back.

i love tom petty and rush. i'd totally go see petty, and rush live back in the day was...amazing (roll the bones was the last show i saw of theirs). i'm sure their show is still decent, but geddy's voice is NOT getting better with age. neil peart is a master. completely awe inspiring.

steve winwood reminds me of soft pop radio. but he has some good stuff in the mix.

I saw Rush live last summer. It was the Snakes and Arrows Tour, which means they pushed all their new stuff and played 4 classics at the very end of the show. But seeing Neil live was good enough.

Wasn't quite worth the bucks I paid for the show though looking back.

Yes, the perfect Rush show last happened in 1986.

Nice! I wanted to go see Petty also but I'm not paying $110 for a lawn-seat ticket.

You don't have to be old to like Petty or classic rock in general; I'm a big fan and I'm only 20 also.

Red Rocks, any show at Red Rocks, is worth seeing. Especially this time of the year. If you get a storm behind the stage, it's incredible. The lighting is constant, and it's MILES away. They keep playing.

Absolutely. Red Rocks is one of the best venues in the U.S. I saw Dave Matthews there a few years ago and it was just perfect. Having them playing and being able to see the city lights as a backdrop, yet being surrounded by huge red rock monoliths is just fantastic.

I went to see Petty about 4-5 years ago, I don't remember much of it but it was a good show nonetheless. This was in my PA days so who knows what I was on when I saw it, guaranteed in the least I was high on pot.

Back