went to the junk yard to day and found !!!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

projectrex88

a 91 honda civic hatch with coil overs and a zc engine the rest of the car was basicly striped so my ? is there anything i should go back and get from the car im thinking about doing a zc swap in my crx if i dont do the mini me also what did the zc engine come in stock integera ?

is yor rex an Si? those ZC engines came in integras in the US, not sure about japan. should be 137 HP.
if you already have a Si or MPFI conversion then the ZC is A very easy swap.
and if you dont have coilovers you probably want to grab those too.

nope mine is not an si what all would i need to covert it over to mpfi and do i need to convert it to mpfi for the mini me swap ?

what did the zc engine come in stock
was this a DOHC ZC? - the DOHC ZC that fits the 88-91 CRX/Civic came in 88-91 JDM CRX/Civic Si models - there were no DOHC ZCs in USDM cars - if it says 'ZC' for the engine code, it is JDM

the first article in the swap questions is a dpfi to mpfi write-up. and for either the ZC or SOHC vtec you will need to have MPFI.
and I messed up thinking the zc was in the integra, they DO look the same though.

Last edited:
damn so its a jdm engine then its the dohc ill have to go back tomarrow and see if i can get it started and see how much there asking for it what all should i ask for will i need the axles "mottor mounts "ecu ?

Make it easy, get the whole car and take what you need. Part out the rest when you are done.

^^probably the best idea.

You might even be able to sell it back to the yard it came out of....or donate the shell.

well the car is basicly striped theres nothign inside of it it has one lude seat the rest is gone the stearing wheel and dash were even taken it also dont have any rims on or lights and i think the glass in the doors was missing also so buying the whole car would turn out to be a pain trying to find rims and geting it towed to my house ..

all the u-pull-it yards around here have forklifts or bobcats to help pull engines.
88-91 civics are the easiest to remove as long as you can get underneath the car.
the trickiest part is getting the retaining pin out of the shift linkage.
everything else is straightforward.
take the engine and trans out together.
take the fuel line off at the firewall.
unplug the wire harness on the fender.
9 bolts,1 pin, and fuel line and wires shouldnt take more than an 1.5 hours with hand tools .
2 bolts for the battery tray.
2 bolts for the exhaust manifold.
1 bolt and the retaine=ing pin for the shift linkage.
4 motor mount bolts, and if I remember correctly the front and rear both have nuts on them, (really long bolts too) so you need a wrench for them too.
you will need a crowbar or bigger flat screwdriver to pop out the axles.
#1 rule is dont cut anything! you never know what you will need later so remove it right.
oops, I forgot, remove the radiator hoses.

Why does everyone make a big deal about the pin on the shift linkage? It is soooooo easy to get out, just take a punch (8mm I think) and knock it out in 2 seconds.

The ZC bolts directly into an 88-91 CRX/Civic.. so it should be relatively straightforward for you. I would take the motor, trans, axles, engine bay harness and anything else you can get it will just make it easier later. But really all you should need is the motor and everything else will match up with it..

I do not know what I'm talking about, but neither of you mentioned the ECU. The rest of the advice sounds right, but if it was me in the yard pulling the motor I'd snag that ECU just in case.

Wouldn't hurt to have a spare, at the very least, right?

Back