Wetsanding

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

MoSeS

ok... so ive decided im going to try to paint my car. im going to try to use the method posted by citizen_insane, but i have no clue what the difference between wetsanding and regular sanding is. flame me if you want but what is the technique used with wetsanding, is it just sanding with water???

Pretty much. Use water with a lil dish soap mixed in. The wetness prevents the sandpaper from clogging up and gives you a nicer smoother finish. If you try to do it dry, the clogged portions sometimes scratch the primer.

I didnt read the paint thread and I'm rly lazy today so no searching :p Anyway, Are you going to use 1 stage paint or base/clear?? If you could even link me to the thread that would be great too :) I may have some tips to throw in here or there, I paint a lil ;)

OK, my .02. For 200 you can do it a LOT nicer and it wont look like 200. If you buy 1 stage paint it comes with the color and the clear all in one. Its not as shiny as a typical base/clear car will be but it can be buffed to look extremely close.

Prime the whole car with cans, then wetsand with 320 or 400. Go over the whole car again with some 600 and wash it well. Let it dry, mask everything needed to be masked. Spray the car with the 1 stage. It can be wetsanded after with some 1500 or 2000 gritt to make it glass like.

I've seen cars with paint rolled on, it aint pretty....

thats what i'm doing.. a single stage acrylic in white and i'll just have it buffed to a nice shine.. cant beat bodywork and paint for $175

And it doesnt look bad at all right? 1 stage is a nice cheap way to paint your car the right way cheaply.

yeah take nicks advice he bought a car that got roller painted and it really doesn't work out as well as everybody claims it does. i know i did it to his car :)

hey i had two eyes when i did that, we just didn't care

what mats will i need? spray gun? where can i get that paint at?

See if there's a Finish Master store near you. If not goto an autobody place and ask them where they get their supplies. Its kinda hard to find the place in the phonebook....I've tried, there is no category for auto body supply.

What mats??

They sell a spray gun for $75 that will do the trick, if you want to go cheaper hit up Homer Depot and get one of their cheapo ones. They work OK but they dont spray quite as well as a good gun.

See if there's a Finish Master store near you. If not goto an autobody place and ask them where they get their supplies. Its kinda hard to find the place in the phonebook....I've tried, there is no category for auto body supply.

What mats??

They sell a spray gun for $75 that will do the trick, if you want to go cheaper hit up Homer Depot and get one of their cheapo ones. They work OK but they dont spray quite as well as a good gun.

lol, sorry i play WoW a lot, mats=materials

AHHHH, I see now :lol:

I would sand the car down as much as possible, if you have a DA use it with some 220 and take the whole car down. If not, get a block and start sanding. Then follow up with some 320 and primer the car. Then wetsand the primer with some 320 or 400 and you're ready to paint.

I would get a roll of 220 grit and 320 grit, they will sell them in self-stick rolls at the supply shop. Then buy a shitload of cans of primer surfacer, the Duplicolor one works well for me in the rattle can. Then the 1 stage paint itself with a gallon of thinner.

Gloves, drop cloth, masking tape and a shitload of newspaper.

I think that should do it.

Do you plan on painting it outside? If so, make a drop cloth room somehow and pull the car into it. This will at least stop shit from flying around and sticking to the paint. Its not perfect but it DOES work. Leave a 1 or 2" gap around the bottom and if you can make a roof that does the same that would be great too :)

also wherever you are painting it wet the floor down prior to spraying. this will eliminate dust and dirt that is on the ground to fly around and into your paint.

Back