what a good shocks/coilover combo?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

brasilianstreet

im looking for some shocks and coilovers for my ride and what are some good brands or types?

search helps there are 3246468 other threads exactly like this out there.

what do you want to do with your suspention???
you want something that the chicks outside burger king will think is cool??
or are you gonna drag, auto X???
if you want a specific answer ask a specific question
as far as good suspention brands go

tein
cucsco
JIC
Skunk 2
Tokico
Toni
H&R
Eibach
Ground Control

no actually im looking for suspension that can hold 400 hp or lil more , and its for a civic 1996 ex coupe with ls/vtec looking for good suspension for street racing ,1/4 mile racing also some auto x is that enough information im interested in prices also and now does that narrow it down a little

Tein
Basic damper=750
SuperStreet Damper=1000
Flex Damper =1500

JIC
FLT-A2=$1300-1500

those are some of the nicest ones out there, will pillowball mounts and full camber adjustment.

if you want to build your own you are lookin about 300 for Skunk2 Coils or Ground COntrolls.

depending on how nice of a shock you want depends on what you want to spend. idjustables will run bout 150 a piece, non-adj's will cost bout 100 each.

personally if you dont want to spend over a grand go for the Tein Basic Damper, if a thousand is the top, Get the Tein SS damper, if you have more money than you know what to do with get the JIC FLT-A2's, or the Tein Flex, with the EDFC.

you can not get a good suspension that will hold down 400 hp, be comfy on the street, good at the strip, and good at autocrosses.

If your into drag racing, get stupidly stiff rear springs, with stiff dampers, front about half, with a lot less damper.

For the street, get soft springs and soft dampers if you want comfy

Autocross you want more of a nuetreal setup with maybe a hint of oversteer.

You cant have everything in one package. It all conterdicts itself

:werd:

A suspension setup tailored for drag racing will not work well for you running around cones.

Smonkey- there are a TON of other coilover setups that are WAY nicer than what you posted.

like the Ohlins with external oil jars
:drool:

starting at 3,000,000 yen :)

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Mar 9 2004, 07:43 AM
like the Ohlins with external oil jars
:drool:

starting at 3,000,000 yen :)

I would want them just to say I spent multimillons on my suspension setup. Whats that in US figures, $3.92?

yea that is kinda spendy but im actually just gona go with skunk2 coilover kit or neuspeed coilover kit i figured i dont really need shocks right?

Yes, you do need shocks with those skunk2's. I blew a stock shock within one week of installing my skunk2 coilovers. I'm pretty sure it'd be the same case with the neuspeeds.

damn for real , imma go with some nice affordable shocks than so im going to get neuspeed coiovers and what type of shocks and after the shocks is it complete to install?

Originally posted by brasilianstreet@Mar 9 2004, 06:07 PM
damn for real , imma go with some nice affordable shocks than so im going to get neuspeed coiovers and what type of shocks and after the shocks is it complete to install?

really if you go with the skunk2 the only common shock that provides suffecient damping would be koni yellows. The skunk2 have really heavy spring rates.

yeah, its a real stiff ride, but i like it, alot. its just right for me, but alot of people think its too stiff. however the Skunk2s overall arent that great. they feel good on the street, but apparently they turn to mush on the track. thats the general concensus that ive heard

Originally posted by asmallsol@Mar 9 2004, 12:49 AM
you can not get a good suspension that will hold down 400 hp, be comfy on the street, good at the strip, and good at autocrosses.

If your into drag racing, get stupidly stiff rear springs, with stiff dampers, front about half, with a lot less damper.

For the street, get soft springs and soft dampers if you want comfy

Autocross you want more of a nuetreal setup with maybe a hint of oversteer.

You cant have everything in one package. It all conterdicts itself

:yes:

you're gonna autox with a 400hp turbo ff car? :lol: you should probalby just stick to straight line racing. :mullet: j/k you probably should look into the avc-r boost controller with gear dependent boost contol, so you have some hope at getting any kind of traction.

for drag, you'll want something real stiff in the rear, about 1/2 stiff in front. autox is a lot more difficult, but you should want a little to a lot of oversteer.

read this: http://www.grassrootsmotorsports.com/shocks.html

and you can not upgrade your springs on stock shocks. might as well just go cut a couple coils off your stock springs if you're gonna do that..

alrite well im not really goin to autocrooss, but what combo or set up would you consider for my car for street racing and drag strip?

would the koni yellows and skunk2 springs do or no? wut else is der to consider

Originally posted by jwn7@Mar 10 2004, 03:40 AM

and you can not upgrade your springs on stock shocks. might as well just go cut a couple coils off your stock springs if you're gonna do that..

wanna bet, i just did it. i just put the neuspeed race springs on my stock dampers, and it rides sooooo much better tahn with my heated stockers. no more squish around corners, my lateral Gs are wayy better. the overall feel of the car is much much better.

brasilianstreet-

yeah, Koni yellows, or Tokico illuminas, and if you dont mind paying the extra$$ or swapping springs alot, you can get the skunk2 kit wil an extra pair of 900lb rear drag springs, they will be RETARDETLY too stiff for the street, but you will be able to straightline it like a mother.

Originally posted by Smonkeyboy+Mar 10 2004, 04:25 PM-->
@Mar 10 2004, 03:40 AM

wanna bet, i just did it. i just put the neuspeed race springs on my stock dampers

yea, you can, but your shocks wont last. They will blow real quick

Back