What all is involved with "chipping" a P28? my first honda project inside...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

b dub

brand new honda owner here, trying to put a turbo first gen B16 into a 93 civic. i have a PR3 ecu, and a P28 that came out of the civic. here are my questions:

* how is this chipped? is it an external chip that can be removed quickly? or is it an internal thing?

* if a tune is chipped into the ecu, can it be retuned? like say i get a mail order setup then take it to the dyno, can they rewrite the chip, or is it a one time thing?

* where is the best place to send the ecu to get chipped?

a response!! thanks for the info man.

now id like to know: if "chipping" is something that you can do yourself, can i chip this to suit my exact combo? or is it a general tune?

You tune for your specific engine setup. If you dont have the equipment have a qualified person do it for you. You need a dyno to monitor air fuel ratios and to measure horsepower and torque. You could get the ecu ready to be chipped though. Just read the sites and you will find all the answers to your question I am sure.

oh i have. :) and if possible, ide like to chip the one i have to cut costs a bit. this whole chipping thing is completely foreign to me, im used to plugging an external chip into the ecu and being to remove and retune it for additional mods and tuning.

heres the thing, if i can send mine off somewhere, tell my combo, and have them chip it that would work great. then i could drive 200 miles to a san diego or phoenix dyno worry free and have it checked, possibly tweaked. it appers as though i can, so that sounds good.

"Chipping" is nothing more that what you're already used to. You just have to set the ECU up first because Honda didn't design their ECUs with upgradeability in mind. It'll cost you $50 to have someone else chip it or $25 to do it yourself. If you've never done the kind of soldering and de-soldering required, I recommend spending the extra $25.

From there you can get what's called a "basemap", which is just someone's educated guess at what your engine combination will like. From there you will absolutely want to get tune on a dyno. Most of the best tuners are in L.A., like Church's and Whitfield.

Bump for Whitfield.

I agree with Blanco here. Honda did leave their ECU's open to modification, you just have to know what to do. Armed with the right info, you CAN do it yourself, but if you lack de/soldering experience (as he stated) I'd have someone else do it.

If you are looking for someone to send your ECU to, I know of someone. All I would need from you is some information. From that information, he can formulate your basemap (which is normally very close to the tune) and then you can drive (nicely) to your tuner and have them tune it.

Back