1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What are the chances of passing emissions....

Discussion in 'General Tech and Maintenance' started by xj0hnx, May 27, 2005.

1. xj0hnx

xj0hnx I wanna be sedated VIP

Without a catalytic converter? I ask because a week ago the catalyst material in mine cracked, which produced a horrible rattling from idle to 2000rpms. So I took it to the shop, busted out the material, and welded in a straight pipe end to end. I am coming back to Texas soon, and will have to pass before I can register it.

Also, anyone that installed a test pipe, did you experiance a much quieter vtec engagement? and quiter idle? My vtec is like butter now, and butt dyno says it flows a bit nicer up top, and idles sooo much quieter.

2. sohcslammer

sohcslammer Senior Member

That's wierd.

Question #1 - no, you will not pass the visual. (no idea if you'll pass sniffer but probably not unless it's a BRAND new STOCK motor)

Question #2 - My buddy has an H22 swap in his accord and we took the cat off of that... Holy shit can you say 120 decibles? :lol: I find that odd that you think it is quieter. If anything it SHOULD be louder. More power is right, but the decibles should go up as well. :shrug:

3. xj0hnx

It will pass visual, from the outside you can't tell, it looks the same. We put the pipe inside the cat and welded it in.

I know what you mean about it being louder, but really, it's quiter at idle, and when I accelerate it is deeper, but instead of vtec having that snap, it is a more mild tone change. I'll make a littel video and post it.

4. xj0hnx

BTW, the diameter of the pipe is > the collector and < the exhaust.

5. GSRCRXsi

GSRCRXsi Super Moderator Moderator VIP

shit when i went for emissions they didnt even check to see if i had a cat, all they checked was the gas cap then put it on the dyno. no obd check, nothing. on my printout its on the paper but they just didnt check i guess they are lazy, lol. thats baltimore city though... no idea how it will be for you.

but on the thing about idles and sound, my car wasnt really that much louder either. its loud as fuck now though with no interior, lol, and yea my vtec seems smoother too. once i hit about 4000 its loud as fuck, then when vtec hits at 5300 i barely notice, lol.

6. 96CIVICLS

96CIVICLS Senior Member

What state do you live in ???? Taking out the honey comb in the cat will cause the emmisons not to pass. On cars that are 96 and newer they will usally plug them into the computer and just run the car. On anthing older they will run it on the dyno machine and put the plug in the exhaust and the computer wont read right and you wont pass. Thats why when the sell the test pipes and resiknators the usaully say for off road use only thats what you turned your cat into a test pipe. And now its not street leagal.

7. xj0hnx

It's 95 so no plugin, it just has to pass the sniffer. I guess we'll see, it runs pretty clean so maybe it will pass. Anyway, I doubt the high flow cat I was using was much of a pollution deterent.

8. phunky.buddha

phunky.buddha Admin with a big stick Admin VIP

I don't think Austin is sniffing just yet. Only areas around Houston and Dallas are running sniffer tests- not the whole state.

9. xj0hnx

Good news then :) Hopefully Corpus Christi isn't, that's where I will be headed when I get back.

10. sohcslammer

sohcslammer Senior Member

Good luck!

I wish CA was that lax about smog... :(

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted