what are the chances

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Ifolmsbee

they say that a d15 can be reved like hell that is why the swaps work so well, but mine has around 225,000 miles and getting almost a new head on it. so what are the chances of the bottom giving out, my engine smokes a little when floored and when started but i sounds like head problems cause i can hear my vavles they sound real loose and my springs wore out as well, so that will cause it to smoke to cause of oil getting passed the valve seals right cause of how loose they are? concerned cause i paid $360 for the cam, 160 for the valve springs, 150 for the complete head gasket set, $1000 for the (d16z6 engine)(using just the head though) 130 for the obdo to obd1 jumper, all just to go the head swap. 87 crx si is my ride. any thoughts?

225,000 is alot I just pulled my ls at 196,000 for a rebuild not expecting to find anything bad, but my main bearings were in pretty bad shape, also expect to lose compression and burn oil pretty soon if you drive it hard. If your talking about your valve lash being loose then no that won't cause your motor to burn oil (not exactly sure what you meant by saying your valves are loose). you burn oil only if you have a bad seal somewhere

Just to be sure
You have a
d16z6 vtec head
going on a
D15 bottom end in an 87 CRX

somebody check me on this, but im not even sure if that'll fit unless thats a 88+ bottom end

yea z6crx you are right....dude you cant bolt a z6 head to your d15....even tho ppl say they are swapping these heads on d15's....your d15 is a different d15 and the head bolt pattern is very different....along with the header and intake manny pattern....it just will not line up at all....dont try.....try to find a motor just like yours and rebuild it...you will be very happy with the end results of having a strong long lasting reliable motor ........just my opinion tho....anyone agree wit me? :p

aside from the fact that the head won't fit, why didn't you just buy a b16. and obd0 b16 can be picked up for $1200. you will have a better starting block and a lot less work to do.

i would consider the swap issues more than building your block.

Quoted post[/post]]
aside from the fact that the head won't fit, why didn't you just buy a b16. and obd0 b16 can be picked up for $1200. you will have a better starting block and a lot less work to do.

i would consider the swap issues more than building your block.
i have the whole d16z6 engine but i dont want to have to switch trannies and cv axles and shit, i have a new obx header and a obx intake manifold with b18 60mm throttle body, actually idaho speed center said i could do it and rev tech to of boises most popular honda performance centers said i could. does anyone no for sure

yea you can swap the whole motor but the tranny wont fit either....try to find a crx or civic si tranny from years 88=91 so u can use ur cable clutch instead of the hydro tranny thats on the z6......i belive u just need mounts and all the wiring stuff....( i have no idea what wiring goes on in thoes crx's)lol.....ive herd of those swaps going into 87 crx's.....just do ur research......now that i think of it www.redpepperracing.com......ur welcome :mrgreen: .....lol...anyone else agree?...clayton?

Quoted post[/post]]
yea you can swap the whole motor but the tranny wont fit either....try to find a crx or civic si tranny from years 88=91 so u can use ur cable clutch instead of the hydro tranny thats on the z6......i belive u just need mounts and all the wiring stuff....( i have no idea what wiring goes on in thoes crx's)lol.....ive herd of those swaps going into 87 crx's.....just do ur research......now that i think of it www.redpepperracing.com......ur welcome :mrgreen: .....lol...anyone else agree?...clayton?
what about a d15b7? do i have to get the cv axles and shit for that. i know i can use the p28 and the wiring from my a3 on any d block just have to add all the vtec stuff. i use my car every day so i would only want a week down time 2(max) so that is why i am trying to go the route i am going plus i have spent about 3-4 g already on my ride so i am running out of money and ideas, alof of custom fab(dremel, your my best friend!)

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
what about a d15b7? do i have to get the cv axles and shit for that. i know i can use the p28 and the wiring from my a3 on any d block just have to add all the vtec stuff. i use my car every day so i would only want a week down time 2(max) so that is why i am trying to go the route i am going plus i have spent about 3-4 g already on my ride so i am running out of money and ideas, alof of custom fab(dremel, your my best friend!)
i meant will the d15b7 bold up to my tranny, i would like a head swap for compression reasons! and thanks so far on all the feedback

ur motor will not bolt up 2 any tranny from 88 and on......your motor has to be used with parts from your year and that motor.....if you use the d16z6 engine then you need what i said before.....just ditch your stock motor and toss the z6 in it...will take a bit of work but you will be indeed very happy with the power.....

Quoted post[/post]]
ur motor will not bolt up 2 any tranny from 88 and on......your motor has to be used with parts from your year and that motor.....if you use the d16z6 engine then you need what i said before.....just ditch your stock motor and toss the z6 in it...will take a bit of work but you will be indeed very happy with the power.....
i want to know if the 88 engine will bolt up to my tranny not the other way around. cause if so i will buy one this week and have it in by the week after. thoughts?

The Z6 will not work with an 87 and below tranny if that answers your question.
And 87 and below motors will not bolt up to 88 and up trannies
hope that helps and clarifies this a bit

Back