What are the differences in parts between a K20a and a K20a2

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

rcaca0

Hello,

I am thinking about purchasing a K20a (type r) from H-motors. I was wondering if there are any differences between this motor and the US version K20A2(type s)? I mostly want to know if I will be able to get parts for a K20A, ie senors, cams, pistons, turbos, fuel injectors, alternators, etc. I want to say the head are the same on both and it's just the size of the blocks (ie the K20a is a 2.2 and the K20a2 is a 2.0). Will parts from a K20A2 fit on a K20A?

Thanks,
R

Looks like we have a few new members! welcome.

biggest difference in them is the K20 is better simply because of compression ratio, cams and tune. K20a2 is a US version with a bit less HP for emissions and crap. If you can afford the JDM spec get it. All the other parts will transfer over. K20a2 parts will fit but I wouldn't swap stuff unless you need it to work with your car. example : intake mani is better flowing on the JDm spec. cams are a little more aggressive too.

but if you're on a budget you can still do the A2 swap and later add cams or something to get more power. nowadays with the aftermarket world flooding the Honda market you can mod a A2 on a small budget.

what are you trying to do with it? what car is it goin in?

I am planning on putting this engine in a 2002 Honda Civic Ex. Right now it's my main car and it's getting old so I am going to need to get another one. Instead of selling my old car, I decided to go ahead and see what I can learn and sort of play with. I have been thinking about doing this for a while. Since my car is burning oil, I figure this is the excuse I need to attempt this. I have a couple of friends how are familar with Chevy's LS engine and I am going to use their help on this build. Both of them have never worked on Import engines but I think the basics are there. The only thing that worries me is the electrical. Depending on who I talk to, I have been told that I just need a wire harnes for the exterior and the interior wires (power windows, etc) just plugs into the new ecu. Something doesn't sound right with that so I purchase the manuals for the RSX (K20A2) and the one for my car (D17A2). I purchase these manuals at helminc.com. I am going to compare the wiring and see if the interior wire harness will work. I am probably going to buy a K 20A from H motors since it has no miles. I have been told that theres not much of a difference between a K20A and a K20A2. The parts (most of them) are interchangable and can be purchased here in the US. Also with the K20A, I don't need to worry about the Immobilizer. I am planning on flashing the ecu with Hondata pro so the Immobilizer is not a big deal. Another worry I have is the power steering and AC. Most of the mods I have found don't have these working and I don't understand why. The Power steering should be easy, it's just two connections on the rack and pinion. The AC, I think I need to get some custom hoses made up but still not a big deal. I also noticed that Hasport and Hybrid racing really don't sell a lot of parts for a ES chassis (2002 Civic Ex). I am hoping it's because they don't need to. Another thing I noticed is that some people remove the dashboard. It doesn't make sense to me why so I am hoping that I don't have to do this. If I do, I may have a shop do this for me.

If I can get the motor working and driving fine, I imagine my next step (probably in one year) will be to build up the engine and transmission. Originally I wanted to build it in such a way where I can just add a turbo later but my friends adviced me that I will probably have a different cam set up in a turbo verses non turbo car. So I am on the fence if I should try to add the turbo at the same time I attempt to build the engine. I am hoping to get 300+hp at the wheels. Any thoughts?

If you buy a K20A from HMO make sure your ECU isn't a PRC-J01. I bought my K20A swap for them and found this out the hard way. I needed a immobilizer bypass. Newer K20A ECU's do have an immobilizer. Older ones do not. Tom at HMO didn't have the one I needed. Plus....if you don't run Hondata.....you need to wire in the secondary O2 or you'll have a check engine light.

Back