What are you BBQing on?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Capt. Orygun

Win the Day
In the spirit of Memorial Day weekend, I thought we should talk BBQing! Yes I know what the holiday is really about, I'm a veteran myself so calm down. Anyways, share your grill and finished product pics here. I have a rack of ribs coming off the smoker in a few hours and will post pics. First, my grill...

I use the "Junior" as I currently live in an apartment
BBQ055-1.jpg

Grills - Traeger Online Store

I swear by Traeger. Wood Pellet fuel=better flavor than charcoal. Fed by auger=the control of propane. It's technically a wood oven, but don't let that fool you, this baby can smoke and BBQ with the best of em.

Rib pics to come, show me your setup.

I wont waste band width with a pic of my cheap ass grill lol. Its just a run of the mill charcoal grill. Adjustable charcoal grate, one cooking rack and another in the lid.

Fuel of choice is hard wood lump. Sometimes I soak wood chips and throw em in on the coals, to get a faux smoker effect goin. Ive used hickory and mesquite quite a bit, just tried some cherry and it has a nice flavor.

Go to meal is steak with asparagus and sauteed onions. One of my favorites has been salmon cooked on a cedar plank tho.

I dont have any pics of my finished goods because it barely makes it to the table lol.

Lmao, I take it they turned out good then.

Today I'll be grillin New York Strip Steaks that have been in the marinade overnight on the trusty Lodge cast iron grill fired with Kingsford charcoal briquettes.

Lodge%20Grill.JPG

BBQ projects are handled with the New Braunfels Black Diamond BBQ. This bad boy usually burns hardwoods - oak, walnut, pecan. Somethimes mesquite or charcoal.

Black%20Diamond%20Smoker.JPG

Last edited:
I want a traeger. Badly.

I have a Weber one touch 22.5" and a Weber silver gas grill.

I smoked a pork shoulder on the one touch this saturday. I did a two zone with hardwood broquettes and apple wood chips about 275 for 8 hours. I brined the shoulder so it was a bit salty on the skin but was super delicious when I pulled it apart and through a touch of the sweet baby ray's on it.

I got the cheapest one at home depot last year for like 139 bucks.

249671_150869281652121_7463060_n.jpg

Basic weber coal grill FTMFW I like to smoke with it.

247914_150869391652110_100001871518109_322225_606691_n.jpg

My go to grill is a Char Broil 3 burner infrared grill.

559416_336849213054126_100001871518109_830121_528513184_n.jpg

12802716.jpg

I would have been BBQing/Grilling in my POS Charmglow 3 burner SS Grill, i bought in 2006

BUT

I was in Boston Sunday/Monday...Had 1/2 dozen oysters on the half, 14oz NY Strip with a Maine Lobster tail and garlic mash for dinner on Sunday at a place called Atlantic Fish with a few Vodka/Sprites. On Monday I was at Fenway and had sausage and pepper grinder and a Fenway Frank.

No good BBQ this year ;(

some of the stuff you guys cooked sounds soooo good.

Dig a hole in the ground, build fire, wait for coals, skewer meat on green willow, lay over coals. Invariably you'll get some burnt dirt on the meat which is so good for you, and if you dig the hole in soil with lots of organics, it will impart a smoky peat flavor. Also, using wood from the forest floor creates a terroir that simply can't be purchased.

Dig a hole in the ground, build fire, wait for coals, skewer meat on green willow, lay over coals. Invariably you'll get some burnt dirt on the meat which is so good for you, and if you dig the hole in soil with lots of organics, it will impart a smoky peat flavor. Also, using wood from the forest floor creates a terroir that simply can't be purchased.

I did this once with a pig. It was amazing.

I grill on a george foreman grill. :( I need to pick up a decent grill one of these days.

I like cooking in dirt, dig a 4x4x5 foot hole fill it with about a foot and a half of gravel or a foot of lar hours ,ge rocks, then you burn as much wood as it takes to build up a foot and a half of coals then add the cheapest thickest cut of beef or pork seasoned and wrapped in foil and wet burlap. Cover with dirt untill hole is filled, wait 8 to 12, uncover and enjoy the most softest moist pork ass in the world!

Back