What axactly triggers the airbag?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

98b16a2

I'm currently rebuilding a 94 integra and am about to replace the airbags that were blown however, I don't want to plug the new one in and have it blow as soon as I plug the battery back in. I don't know what sensor or whatever, causes that thing to go. What should I check before plugging this airbag in to guarantee that it wont blow?

Thanks.

there are really 3 triggers for the airbags, 2 are up in the front frame rails, accessible from inside the vehicle at the firewall, one on each side, these detect crumple of the front of the vehicle and would need to be replaced.
the 3rd thing that triggesr the airbag is the safing switch, it is located just under the radio under the center cosole/dash. The safing switch monitors the crash sensors and also monitors vehicle speed and direction, this would most likely not need to be replaced, but would need to be reset to clear the srs light.
let me see if I can get some info for you.

this is the location of the impact sensors

Attachments

• 0441.gif
    0441.gif
    17.8 KB · Views: 352
my alldata says that the impact sensors must be replaced if they are dented cracked or in any way deformed

The frame is actually just fine. The only thing that got bent was the radiator support and and some other cosmetic things (fender, hood). So I'm lucky there.

I would say that you should be fine putting in the airbag and resetting the system, I don't know exactly how to reset the system, but you should be able to just put in a new airbag or airbags and be ok, just the light will be on.
Make sue you disconnect the battery and then wait about 5 mins before hooking up the new airbag, otherwise there will be power in the system and it may cause the airbag to inflate.
after you install the airbag; turn the ignition switch to the "run" position and then get out of the car, and then hook up the battery, that way you aren't in the car when the system activates for the first time just in case the airbag does go off.

something like that i would take to honda dealer and have put in air bags aren't cheap and if it's done wrong and they do go off you'll be in more in air bags then then the original airbags and install cost

Back