what boost to build for given a GT28R

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

vector

Ok.. here's what I need help with. Have a z6.. and a turbo kit (edelbrock) with a GT28R.. I have another block that I'm going to have decked and cleaned to build for this project. But I have no idea what range of boost I'm dealing with for that turbo. Obviously pointless to build for say, 13psi (for example) if the turbo can't push that.....
basically I want to know if anyone knows what kind of air this thing can blow so I can build engine accordingly (hopping for like 10-12psi..maybe more if I can build for it).
(current plans include machined crank, forged 8.5:1 pistons, eagle rods, and some head studs.. cause I just don't trust the bolts)
Also any other advice or tips reguarding building this motor would be helpful.. I've build motors before but never for boost so this is kind of a 1st time experience for me.
Any help would be much appreciated :p

Thank you

gt28rscompress.gif

Cutoff point looks to be about 36-37 lbs/min for this map.

i dunno about you, but i like my turbos to operate at the maximum effectively. So, i like ahh vtec's response of 20psi (notice the 77% look tops out at 2.4 meaning 14.7 + 5.6psi...20.3psi).

A stock z6 could probably get around 260-280 just because i dont think youll ever make it past 20lbs per minute on a d16...that puts you JUST above 20psi and around 60% efficiency.

You don't exactly decide what efficiency island you fall on at PR 2.4. That'd have to be under the assumption that after you mapped your setup on the map you fall under there (and make slightly less than 30 lbs/min).

Under the general ASSumption that Honda motors generally have a fairly high VE from the stock, you guys will be placed more towards the right side of the flow map which is something to keep in consideration when looking at these things. Then again this is heresay and the best way to find out where you are on the map is to either calculate your airflow (assuming you know your VE at x rpm) or reverse-engineer it by logging airflow and pressure ratio and then plotting it on the map.

werd, thats why i kinda contradicted myself in the second half of the above post.

i dunno about you, but i like my turbos to operate at the maximum effectively. So, i like ahh vtec's response of 20psi (notice the 77% look tops out at 2.4 meaning 14.7 + 5.6psi...20.3psi).

A stock z6 could probably get around 260-280 just because i dont think youll ever make it past 20lbs per minute on a d16...that puts you JUST above 20psi and around 60% efficiency.
:werd:

Back