what bore size pistons and which ones??

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

bvtec

i have a b16 vtec with turbo project coming on just confused on bore sizes, dont know much about it whats better to have or shall i stick to standard bore pistons, im hoping to run approx 350bhp with 9.01 comp using t3/t4e?? :roll: :roll:

don't ever bore a honda motor unless it is sleeved unless you absolutely have to.

Don't run oversize pistons unless you have to.

Originally posted by radnulb@May 26 2004, 01:52 PM
don't ever bore a honda motor unless it is sleeved unless you absolutely have to.

The OEM over bore size is sufficient for almost any build, unless you are throwing stupid amounts of boost at it, and then in that case you will blowing your motor up anyways. Here is the deal though honda sleeves are thin plus they are open deck which again makes honda cylinders weak. In the long run you are going to want to sleeve, just think of sleeving as an investment into making your turbo motor last.
If you want to go anymore than the stock 0.25mm, or 0.5mm overbore then I would really look into going to like 85mm with a good set of sleeves. You will be at 1.75l compared to 1.6l, however sleeving is an expensive process which invloves down time. It is up to you what do you want to spend, what do you want to get out of it.

Everyone else replied to the "how big" question.

In reply to "which ones," Go with a good name brand piston. Wiseco is at or near the top, Arias, Probe,and JE are there too.

Import Builders uses a few of these manufacturers to make their own spec pistons. Talk to Jeff (ImportBuilders) about what pistons will be best pistons to get you where you want to go.

A sleeve/bore job will definitely get you closer to your goal, and add a bit of torque to your setup.

Originally posted by radnulb@May 26 2004, 04:52 PM

:werd:

Only bore it out if you have to clean it up. Wait, I already said that. :lmao: Not slamming anyone... just clarifying that we all said the same thing.

:thumbsup:

stock sleeves are fine @ the 350hp level. if you can use 81mm then do it, otherwise just go to 81.5mm. CP pistons own. if you do decide to sleeve it because you want more than 400hp or something, then 83mm is a good point for turbo motors.

Originally posted by ndogg+May 26 2004, 09:06 PM-->
CP pistons own.

Floydy
@May 26 2004, 09:43 PM
I guess I'm f'd. I had my cylinders bored out to .20 over, and I want to boost it.

You'll be fine. "20 over" generally means 20 thousandths of an inch, which is really .020 inches, which translates to 0.5mm. If you're bored 20 thousandths over in an engine that has a stock 81mm bore, you now have an 81.5mm bore.

:thumbsup:

Ok thats good to know. The guy at the machine shop said he was just cleaning up the walls of the cylinders. :D

to an extent...

but in this case, by cleaning we mean, if a wall had a slight mar on it, or is out-of-round, an overbore to 81.5 would be good to clean up the cyl walls.

You can't clean up all wall damage with just a hone job... if you could, nobody would ever bore to .5mm over- especially not the OEM rebuilders!

exactly.....my machine shop told me that the walls werent perfectly straight so he needed to bore out to the next size for a good tight fit..... yes and i think the last two post just covered eveything i needed to say

my 2 cents, whatever you decide to do, if you plan on going above 350 whp, mic those pistons and have the cylinders(preferrably iron sleeves) bored and honed 5 thousand's over to prevent black death!

yeah you know the black death, the plague that killed millions in Europe a long time ago. :shrug2:

Back