What broke? Clutch, tranny, linkage...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

benjo

I was making a u-turn yesterday when something went terribly wrong on my 94 civic D15 with 100,000mi. When I made the turn I slapped hard into gear and gave it full power(not much with a D15) and it gripped for a few seconds. Then nothing. None of the gears work now and I thought I heard some grinding but it may have been the loose exhaust heat shield. Before I have it towed to a shop, I'd like to know what the problem is. Any easy way of finding out if it's the clutch, tranny, or just a broken linkage cable? I couldnt see anything yesterday night. All this on top of the $300 dollar speeding/expired plates ticket I got in the morning. Well, no more speeding. The car is about three miles from me and I'm new to the city so no truck or garage to tow/work on it myself.

Also, any trusted mechanics in Portland?

~Ben
Portland, OR

My guess is axle. Have somebody get into the car and try to move it slowly. You will need to pop the hood and reach down and grab the axle. If the axle spins and your car goes nowhere then that is the problem. That's the first thing I would check anyways. I have broke 2 axle and both time it was because I had the wheel at full lock while doing a burnout.

The same thing happened to me the other day, i was in reverse and my foot slipped off the clutch and it kinda like poped then there was nothing, i dont know but my macanic said that it is my tranny that went, ? dont know,
i need help too
thanks

Beer bongs do kick ass. Thanks everyone for the info but I checked out the car today and when I put it in gear with the ebrake, one axle spins. It broke at the CV joint. Yeay! I hear they're no fun but I'll give this one a shot. Anyone know what size sockets you need?

Axles are easy to change.

1. Jack the car up and take the wheel off.
2. Using a 32mm socket remove the axle nut (somebody will need to hold the brake while your doing this).
3. Remove the cotter pin and 14mm ball joint nut
4. Hit the flat spot on the lower control arm with a big hammer and lift out the brake assembley (careful not to hit the ball joint).
5. Get a prybar and stick it in between the axle and tranny to remove the axle (you might need to use a punch and hammer).
6. Remove the 17mm fork nut and you should be able to get the axle completely out from this point.

Install everything in the reverse order.

That doesnt sound too bad. I have all the tools except the prybar, 32mm socket and a jack. How large a prybar would I need and are there any other things I may need to worry about when I get in there and how long does it take? I can get all the tools, however, I would have to take everything on the bus and then work on her in the street. The one person I know in Portland lives downtown with only street meter parking. Ughhh. I may have to give this one over to the hacks.

itll be easier to get that 32mm bolt off if you leave the car down...i tried to getting that bolt off with someone holding the brake, and trust me, im sure you want to keep the skin on your knuckles...just leave the car done, get the bolt loose, then jack it up and take it off

Back