what Cam gears for Rocket cams? b16a1

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

xchipx

n/a
ok so my rocket cams and valvetrain is on the way. however rocket hasnt really advised on some good adjustable gears to mate up to them.
any recommendations ?
so far ive been looking at skunk 2 and edelbrock too . st corsa are really hard to find ?!!
this is for a b16a1 , dont mind expensive gears if they are worth it ?
regards
mark

yes i understand that but are any recommended over others ? would i be right in saying skunk2 are the lightest?

skunk2,aem,blox anythin really..i wouldnt worry about weights

but surely weights are going to affect performance ? i am aiming to spend between 3000 - 6000 dollars on mainly top end parts , heck just ordered over 1300 dollars of valvetrain / cams ! im aiming for similar figures to omnimans build...

ok thanks blanco - my thinking was if you lighten your flywheel you can free up some power transmited to the wheels , so i thought any rotational mass would be similar

Be sure you get one with appropriately sized teeth for the timing belt you get. My friend had an issue with his 4G63 because he bought aftermarket cam gears and a greddy timing belt and the cam gears didn't have high enough teeth and would allow the timing belt to slip under extreme conditions (he never ran it that way, but the rep at SlowboyRacing.com said this). He also had "stage 3" cams and valvetrain and revvs higher than stock. [and I'm sure you will too]

^Good point, I would also recommend getting a high-power timing belt too, the have 3x the tensile strength of an OEM belt, just a little added insurance.;)

Same number of teeth, yes. But the problem you want to avoid is the depth of those teeth. The valley between each tooth. Some are more shallow, and I believe the upgraded timing belt has maybe slightly taller teeth on it. I don't know, just a possibility to avoid. Like I said earlier, we made the change on a recomendation from a rep at Slowboy Racing, so we never experienced the problem, it's only said to exist.

Back