what cams to run

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

DShowers

I have a 92 hatch with a LS Vtec in it that I built. it makes good power on the stock cams I want to see if I can make 200 horsepower. my build is currently putting down 172 whp on a mustang dyno no tach signal so no torque reading but my friend calculated it to be 126 to 127 in that range. I am not worried about if it idles rough.
motor specs:
stock gsr block
ls crank and rods with arp rod bolts
b16 pistons
b16 head, skunk2 valve train and flat faced oversized valves
stock cams
skunk 2 im
dc sports 4-1 header
2.5 inch exhaust

i made the same power you did on my lsvtec just different head. I also had the ls bottome end with pr3's in it. I upgraded to skunk2 stage 2 and man can i fell the difference. iwas origionally runnig gsr cams in a B16 head. I would say i'm close to 200. once i get some extra bolt ons like a better header and intake manifold i think i'll be hitting 200.

forgot to mention: my car spun the bearings right after the dyno. Since then i had the bottom end rebuilt with forged parts and 11.3.1 compression. the head had a port and polish done with s2 s2 cams,springs,retainers.

Last edited:
SMSP, RMF, or any GOOD header. get rid of the DC pos.

cams: for your setup, id recommend :

skunk2 stage 2's
skunk2 pro 1's
buddy club 4's
RM m22x

you should get to about 200 easy

They are all the cams I have been researching. I have also been looking into Blox HSL cams any insight into them. I bought the head from a friend of a friend and was told it was ported to match the skunk manifold and that it had cams. But once I went to the dyno and was tuned I decided that cams where not there just B16 cams, reasoning for thinking this is they liked Vtec at 5 thousand. For the porting it held the power and didnt fall off til around 8200 and I rev to 8500.

SMSP, RMF, or any GOOD header. get rid of the DC pos.

cams: for your setup, id recommend :

skunk2 stage 2's
skunk2 pro 1's
buddy club 4's
RM m22x

you should get to about 200 easy

thought you were talking about me till i read the rest of the post.:p your right though, i need to get rid of my dc pos:(

What about Jun III cams they make good power and I would port and polish your intake manifold too and what size throttle body are you running? Always remember 200whp in a 1.8 is not so easy to achieve especially on the mustang or any dyno. Also what fuel manangement are you using? And the power is in the head so a port and polish would help greatly but this thread is about cams.

Last edited:
my B18A1 is pushin 195 to the wheels without the spray......257whp and 325 lbs/torque with the spray

I find that hard to believe. Post a dynograph, and a build list. Not saying that it's impossible, and I have read up on some of your other posts, but that's a somewhat lofty number if you are using the pr4 head. I know, I'm running one too. I have yet to take it to the dyno but I'm guessing somewhere around 160 whp. Intake manifold, exhaust manifold, and stock 2" exhaust OWN me right now.

nitrous does make shit tons of torque, but i dunno about THAT much. ive never seen a honda where the torque number is larger then the HP number

Back