What Carbon Fiber Hood Do You Reccomend?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

im not sure, but i think spoon makes it to oem specs since they gurantee to fit like or better than oem..

Yea, there was more to my above post, but it dissapeared or sumthin.
Spoon is 100% OEM, the others I'm not completely sure about. If your CF hood comes with latches then it won't fly off, if it doesn't have latches you need pins. As long as your not dumb, it'll stay.
As far as the strength issue, the more impact the car absorbs, the less you absorb. The less impact your car absorbs, the more you absorb.
EX 1. You and your honda crash into a solid wall at 50mph. The car will absorb 80% of the crash, you will absorb 20%
EX 2. You and your full CF body honda crash into a solid wall at 50 mph. Car absorbs 20% of the crash, you will absorb 80%
The figures are pulled outta my ass but you get the point.
As long as you don't crash, CF/Kevlar is a very good thing.

my jdm hood
check ou the link, its a JDM cf hood, preinstalled wiper nozzles, and edges are rolled under to avoid any freying. Only kind ive seen that was made so well, i was very impressed. I think thid is the best cf hood on the market.

Originally posted by TRuggiero_@Apr 3 2003, 11:37 AM

As far as the strength issue, the more impact the car absorbs, the less you absorb. The less impact your car absorbs, the more you absorb.
EX 1. You and your honda crash into a solid wall at 50mph. The car will absorb 80% of the crash, you will absorb 20%
EX 2. You and your full CF body honda crash into a solid wall at 50 mph. Car absorbs 20% of the crash, you will absorb 80%
The figures are pulled outta my ass but you get the point.
As long as you don't crash, CF/Kevlar is a very good thing.

even though those numbers are complete fiction, I'm very interested in your explanation of how two moving objects interrelate to each other, and how removing 20 pounds *hint* from the front of the car( i.e. before the crash victim) reduces or augments the force on the victim to any noticable or negligable degree.

I'm not trying to bash you man, just trying to see your reasoning.

Originally posted by doofnoil@Apr 3 2003, 09:41 PM
even though those numbers are complete fiction, I'm very interest in your explaination of how to moving objects interrelate to each other, and how removing 20 pounds *hint* from the front of the car, i.e. before the crash victim, reduces or augments the force on the victim to any noticable or negligable degree.

I'm not trying to bash you man, just trying to see your reasoning.

Damn yo, before using the big words get the little ones right..... and try to keep it coherent :blink:

but anyways he was talking about how cf doesnt crumple like metal and therefor wont absorb the shock.... resulting in more of that shock being passed on to you......(i think)

whatever you do don't buy a knock off cf hood, there is a kid in my town and his hood must be made of like 2 layers of cf cause that is the flimsiest mother fucker i have ever seen, he says it wobbles at any thing over 50, and thats with hood pins, now another friend has avis for his eclipse and that thing is built like a tank and it looks awesome.

Bro, it's not a matter of weight it's a matter of structural integrity. CF is very incredibly strong. It won't absorb as much impact as your stock hood. Which is why race cars (from F1 to NASCAR) are made to crumble upon impact. So that the vehicle absorbs as much of the impact as possible and the driver absorbs as little as possible.

I agree with saturn_boy96 though, CF hoods are not something you wanna skimp on.

i want a cf hood for my crx in the future. but the only reason i want it is for the weight reduction. but if the difference between the 2 hoods isnt big enough its not worth it. also i want lexan windows :worthy: and carbon fenders if the weight is worth it. all painted carbon of course :sleep:

I thought that FAL had street legal rear half Lexan kits but not the windshield. Also to whoever has the VIS what is the weight difference between the CF hood and the stocker. It may be built like a tank, but if I'm gonna paint it body matched, i'm in it for the weight reduction, see? :lol:

yeah i know what your saying and let me say his hood weighed maybe 15 lbs. maybe.

they can't make windows out of lexan cause it doesn't break when you get in an accident. thats what i was told Neways

they sell the window replacements but they are in no way street legal, if you get in an accident that window could fly in unshattered and cut your head off, instead of just giving you a few cuts. ouch.

or if your trapped in the car all on fire and stuffm the cops couldn't break the glass to get you out, you'd just roast

Back