What Chip To Look For...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

MokujinX5

Hey all! I'm new here and I've got a bruning question...

Recently I read an article about swapping the EX head onto the D16 block. I'm curious about this. I've purchased a '95 EX head and intake manifold (yes, gaskets too) for $300 (is that a good price?) I've heard I could use a V-AFC to control the VTEC timing. Would it be necessary to use an EX ECU? Can I get any 92-00 Si/EX (not DOHC VTEC) ECU or is there a particular one that I need to look for? I Think my car is OBD2 so I'd need a harness for an ECU from a 92-95 Civic... I've seen ECUs on eBay but they all have code numbers for each different model... PT2, P28, P30, etc... anything in particular I should be looking for as far as the code number? Does it matter if the ECU is from an AT or MT Civic EX? I've got a manual LX. I'd rather not use a OBD2 to OBD1 conversion harness unless it's my last option. Will it run like stock (106hp) until I get the VTEC controller or will there he a slight power increase from the different intake manifold and head? A shop told me that I would need to drill an oil line for the VTEC, how hard is that to do? I'd love to do this swap myself (with a mechanic buddy of mine) if at all possible...

If there is anything else that I'm leaving out, please feel free to let me know. This is my first Honda (I had a '97 Corolla before) I'm modding and so far, I think I've done pretty good...

-Allen

Back