What combo to use?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Andrew

Well, I've heard it before but have forgotten this issue.
I'm wanting to run intake and a header on my soon to be b16a1 91 rex SI.

According to This article:
Cold Air Intakes(long tube) are better for low-end power.
Short Ram Intakes(short tube) are better for High-end power.

With these being said,
1. Where do most aftermarket headers(i.e. DC-S, OBX. the cheaper ones) provide the most power? Lower or higher RPM's?

I'd like to match up my setup(and stop my thinking if I'm wrong) between the Intake/Header, so that I get the most HP(ha!)/bang for my buck..
(i.e. if most headers work well in higher RPM's, I'd use a short-ram, which also helps out in the higher RPMs, etc)

Am I wrong for thinking this, or could I 'cancel' them out(I/H) by getting the opposite, and NOT have much of a power gain(well... the 2 hp that i would get from them anyway.. lol), or 2. Does it even matter?

3. What do most mid-grade(i guess) headers do in this regard?

Thanks
-Andrew

The 4-1 header is for top end. The 4-2-1 header is more of a mid-range power header. Get the DC 4-1 and the AEM Cold air.

Megan headers are also a good call. But yeah, top end is what it gets you. Do a good header (Megan. DC, Apexi, Greddy) and get a good long tube intake (Iceman, AEM V2, Injen). You'll be amazed at the sound. :mrgreen:

Quoted post[/post]]
Megan headers are also a good call. But yeah, top end is what it gets you. Do a good header (Megan. DC, Apexi, Greddy) and get a good long tube intake (Iceman, AEM V2, Injen). You'll be amazed at the sound. :mrgreen:

cool.
So my therory of having a long-tube(CAI, low-end power) combined with the aftermarket header(high end power) is off then?

the AEM V2's are so big and bulky... they look kinda 'dumb' to me.... how much would a good used one run? I got an Email with pics of one for sale up on these boards, but don't know if I'm interested b/c it's so large.

cool.
So my therory of having a long-tube(CAI, low-end power) combined with the aftermarket header(high end power) is off then?

the AEM V2's are so big and bulky... they look kinda 'dumb' to me.... how much would a good used one run? I got an Email with pics of one for sale up on these boards, but don't know if I'm interested b/c it's so large.
[/quote]
The V2 may look dumb to you, but I seriously doubt you'll find a better intake. You'll feel the difference. I couldn't tell you what a good used one would run. I can't say I have ever seen one for sale. I know that new they go for about $260-$300. Get that and one of AEM's new dryflow filters. You won't be disappointed. Sounds really good. Beefy.

Yeah, a friend of mine with an EP3 - a member on the boards here - has one on his K20A3, and it makes a big difference. Deeper tone and a good amount of low end power. If I was going to stay N/A I'd definately look into one.

Quoted post[/post]]
The V2 may look dumb to you, but I seriously doubt you'll find a better intake. You'll feel the difference. I couldn't tell you what a good used one would run. I can't say I have ever seen one for sale. I know that new they go for about $260-$300. Get that and one of AEM's new dryflow filters. You won't be disappointed. Sounds really good. Beefy.

AEM is one of the best, so I believe it.
-->Heres a picture of it.<--

Is that what ya'll are talking about?

I couldn't view your link. Had to sign on to Hotmail(can't). The V2 is a gray powdercoated, dual diameter runner, cold air intake that say "AEM V2" on it. Hard to miss the logo.

Sorry about the hotmail link.

It's definatly a v2...

Anyway, I backed out.

this article clearly shows that it's not that big of a difference in power...
$180(used) for a 5 or so hp gain....I'll keep my stock airbox for that... or put that cash toward forced induction.

i'll just stick with the cheaper piping with a nice filter.

I believe the number should be higher than that. I know I felt a good difference compared to stock intake and filter. I don't work for, nor do I have any affiliations with AEM, so I am not trying to sell you one. Just telling you the truth. If you go to http://www.aempower.com/product_intake.asp and go to the v2 demo at the bottom, you might change your mind. Keep in mind that AEM is a very well respected company and I hardly think they are lying. Like I said, I feel the difference.

For all of you:

Info 1
These are DYNO results of CA and SR intakes.

The first thing you see on the first chart, is that at 7000rpm, the peak HP gain from the AEM v2 CAI is 5.5hp.
With a Short Ram AEM intake, you get 10.2hp gain at 7000rpms.
If you can't figure out how to use the side menu, CLICK HERE to see SRI's results

DYNO proven results. check it out.
Those are also on Integra's, hence B-series engines.

This way you can see actual results, and not rely on someone telling you they 'felt' a difference.
And I'm not ragging on you GSRCIVICTN, I'm just saying I'd rather see it than hear it.

Do not compare these results to the Short Ram Intake Result
Do not compare these results to the Cold Air Intake Results

guess you missed that part

It says that, but it still has a good share in deciding on which intake to get.
Obviously the Short Ram intake performed better in there testing. Or at least select ones did.

no it didn't. If they say you can't compare them, then there is some reason that you can't compare them. Perhapse they were on different motors. Gaining 10hp on a 300hp 350 chevy is nowhere near as impressive as gaining 5hp 120hp honda.

you also have to factor in shit like the way the tests were performed (hood up, hood down, etc)
perhaps the tests were performed on different cars (with different mods?)
the tests were likely performed on different days under different weather/temperature conditions

there is a lot of information missing there... so you have to accept the "DO NOT COMPARE THESE RESULTS......"... because there is probably a very good reason they said that

Back