1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what could it be

Discussion in 'HYBRID -> EG-EK / DC' started by civiclxb16, Apr 22, 2005.

1. civiclxb16

civiclxb16 Senior Member

ok i am having one last problem and it is getting on my last nerve. ok finally got my civic running and now it is not holding the charge to my battery, i took the battery to sears and they checked it out and they said it is ok to use, took the alt to the local shop and they put it on there machine and it was reading 13.9 is that normal? and is that good enough to run the car because when i put the volt meter on the battery it was saying 12.65 when it should be at 14 right? could it be my wiring harness is just shot(at the shop they chopped it up pretty badly) should i get a new harness and call it aday? let me know i want to be driving my civic no later then may 15th please help me out!!

2. PhyRe

PhyRe Senior Member

i sell batteries and 12.5v+ is ok when a fully charged car/moto bat leaves here its like 13v+ and ur alt pushes it to 14v like you said. but only when the car is running. does the bat not start the car? what all is wrong with it? did they do a load test or just check with a v meter? if its just cuz you checked it and it said 12.65v and it starts i wouldnt worry bout it

3. civiclxb16

civiclxb16 Senior Member

the problem is my car doesn't stay on it dies after a while so i put the battery back on the charger over night and i go thur it all over again the next day, it only last say a half hour or so then it starts to die off that is why i was wondering what it could be

4. civiclxb16

civiclxb16 Senior Member

someone pmed me this is this a good idea ?

5. 92civicb18b1

92civicb18b1 The Trisexual

is your battery holding a charge?

Try it in the prelude, maybe you got a crappy battery.

I just bought a new battery and it was garbage (free replacement) but I upgraded it to 530 cranking amps instead of 425 or whatever it was for 13.87.

6. civiclxb16

civiclxb16 Senior Member

so you think it is my battery? dam craftsman battery down the drain!!

7. old Skuul Hatch

old Skuul Hatch Senior Member

Honesdale Pennsylvania / Fort Smith Arkansas
    Are your grounds all crappy? terminals clean?

Just a thought because mine aer shit and im going to be re-doing them.

8. dem134

dem134 Member

for your alt to charge your battery it needs to be at least at 13.8v. if you turn on your lights and voltage drops below 13.8 at that point you stopped charging the batt and began drainning it. this does not mean that your alt is bad you may just have crappy wires. So with your batt sitting atleast at 12.4v start your car check voltage at your battery you should have atleast 13.8v then check voltage at the back of the alt it should match what you got at your batt. A .2v voltage drop is acceptable but I wouldn't like it if that was my car. if the voltage doesn't match and you have more than 13.8v at the back of the alt then it is your wireing. if you have less than 13.8v it is your alt. now if voltage matches and it is above 13.8v it is your batt.

let us know what happens.
    M

ninja time :ph34r:

9. adidas_man

adidas_man Honorary Honda Driver

you're alternator should be putting out 14.2 - 14.8 volts at idle. if it's not, check your grounds, make sure you don't have any corroded wires anywhere. if your car dies after any amount of time, and your battery is dead once it dies, that tells you that your alternator isn't charging the battery like it's supposed to be and it's not putting out enough amperage to supply the engine.

10. PhyRe

PhyRe Senior Member

sounds about right to me

11. civiclxb16

civiclxb16 Senior Member

all fixed it was the wiring harness thanks guys

12. Estorvito

Estorvito Soy Boricua

about time..lol....Im glad you got it running man..g...
    :woo:

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted