what did i do

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

werd, I went reserves for now while i'm in school. You get a lot of shit about it from active duty, but in the end tehy admit that they are jealous of it. basically as a reservist, you can go active for short periods (up to 6 months) pretty much anytime as long as your unit has the budget for it. and yes, the recruiters won't tell you this, because they are supposed to puch more active duty thorugh than anything.

as far as the school money with reserves, you got a few options. i'm not sure how it is with the AF, but i am sure its the same or very similar. Basically, right now for me, as full time student i can get $288 a month just for having 12 units. plus you go to drill 2 days a month, which is nothing, and depending on rank, you get a hundred something, maybe two hundred for that. right now, at E-3 I get right at 160 a month for drill. also, as a reservist, when you go on active duty, you get all kinds of extra pay like per diem and shit, so you make decent money.

basically if you are looking into school, and you have it set in your mind to be in the military, then reserves is probably the best way to go. The other thing you can do is get into an officer program. basically you are a reservist thoughout school, and they pay somewhere around 20k a year for you to get your bachelor degree, then you get commissioned and do 4, 6, or 8 years after that, depending on your contract.

yeah, but fuck being an officer. with a degree you would make so much more on the outside. if you want to be an officer you might as well be a doctor or pilot. that's where the money is.

yea i know. i went in with the intentions of getting into the officer candidate program, and said the same, fuck it. The amount of time i would spend in as an officer would make me that much more behind in my career field.

Back