What differences do b20 and b18a's have??

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

El Nagro

I know that the b20 has more displacment and i know its achived by more stoke but are there any other differences. Is it true that all non vtec B series engines are the same just different stroke and same with vtec b series right exept the ITR has oil squirters and a few other little things.

I am not talking about like compression ratio's and shit i am talking about the accual block and head.

Are non vtec b series enigine parts interchangable? I would like to know because i am thinking of doing a b20 swap and i am wondering were i could get pistons, cams and everything else.

THX ALOT

Joe

The head on the B20 is almost identical to that on the B18B so if you do the B20 get the a B18B intake manifold, exhaust manifold, stock LS cams or aftermarket cams. And it will be pretty stout. Thats the differences, other than the obvious .2 litres.

Originally posted by El Nagro@Apr 20 2004, 04:15 PM
I know that the b20 has more displacment and i know its achived by more stoke but are there any other differences. Is it true that all non vtec B series engines are the same just different stroke and same with vtec b series right exept the ITR has oil squirters and a few other little things.

I am not talking about like compression ratio's and shit i am talking about the accual block and head.

Are non vtec b series enigine parts interchangable? I would like to know because i am thinking of doing a b20 swap and i am wondering were i could get pistons, cams and everything else.

THX ALOT

Joe

Wrong... the B20B/Z and the B18A/B have the exact same stroke at 89mm. Only the B20A is longer, at 95mm. The difference between the B20B/Z and the B18 non-VTEC is the bore. For the short block, basically only the pistons and bore are different. The rods and crank are the same. The heads are pretty much the same too, except for the intake manifolds.

The VTEC B series engines came with 3 different strokes- 87.2mm for the B18C series, 77mm for the B16, and 81.4 for the B17.

No OEM pistons can be used to upgrade the B20- only the B20 pistons will fit. If you want to increase compression, you'll have to go aftermarket.

What engine platform would I buy pistons for? No good companys really make pistons for the b20z...And so I could just buy camshafts, valves, valve springs and retainers for a b18a/b and it would work right with the b20z?

Originally posted by El Nagro@Apr 20 2004, 08:32 PM
What engine platform would I buy pistons for? No good companys really make pistons for the b20z...And so I could just buy camshafts, valves, valve springs and retainers for a b18a/b and it would work right with the b20z?

WHOA WHOA WHOA WHOA WHOA! No good companies make pistons for the B20B/Z??? Ever heard of Endyn, Arias, or Wiseco? Get some IB Spec Wiseco pistons, you'll be happy.

Originally posted by dohch22a4+Apr 20 2004, 11:10 PM-->
@Apr 20 2004, 08:32 PM

WHOA WHOA WHOA WHOA WHOA! No good companies make pistons for the B20B/Z??? Ever heard of Endyn, Arias, or Wiseco? Get some IB Spec Wiseco pistons, you'll be happy.

:lmao:

Damn Nagro... you need to read up just a tad! If you search for "B20 pistons"on Google, you'll get TONS of results. Lots of people make great pistons for the B20- I should know. I've had several sets!

lol yeah I guess I just overlooked those companys :p. And does anyone know aproximatly what kinda numbers I could hit with a N/A fully built b20z?

N/A fully built? If you run a VTEC head, good internals, and have awesome tuning, 240-250whp is possible.

LoL, I should post the new arias pistons i got for my b20. See whats up now. For your hp tq figures those all depend on the $$$ your willing to spend. The hp and tq you'll make will probably be around 200 whp and 140 tq

Back