What Do I Need To Prepare For A Turbo

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

porkfried83

I have a D16z6, and I'm thinking about putting a turbo on it. What do I need to do, to prepare for a turbo? Better Rods.....Better Pistons? I don't know...can anybody help me out?

it all depends on how much power you want to make. stock stuff is only good for about 200whp (that is if it hasnt been beat to hell), and even then youll likely need to upgrade the injectors, and of course a chipped ECU.

how much power are you trying to make?

Oh...250-350whp. I was thinking about getting some Eagle H-Beam Rods and some Forged Pistons for turbo applications. I knew a fuel upgrade was the first step, and I have a Mugen chip for my P28. The engine has 140,000 miles on it.

Ok to prepare for a Z6 boost application there are quite a few things you need to address. First of course you need your turbo kit. go-autoworks.com sells really nice kits. You will also need bigger injectors. if your looking to run stock internals for now a set of 450cc will do you just fine. Now I see youre looking for 250-350whp, with that being said I would recommend FJ Distributors boost kit. It comes with FJ I-beam rods, ACL bearings, water pump, Vitara pistons, and all gaskets from top to bottom. This kit will hold all you can throw under 400whp. You dont wanna go over that because you'll end up dropping a sleeve. I'll give you a quick list in case I've confused you. :)

Turbo Kit ~$1000-$3000 depending on what you want
FJ D16Z6 Boost kit ~$600
Fuel Pump (Walbro 255 lph) ~$100
Injectors (450cc for 200whp, 650cc for 400whp) ~$300
4 Puck race clutch (350whp you'll slip anything else) ~$350
Chipped ECU (Xenocron Tuning Solutions does chipping services) ~$100
At least 2.5in Exhaust (Pee shooter wont work lol)~$150
Energy Suspension motor mount inserts (Torque will send your wastegate through the hood, seen it happen) ~$40

After all this, considering it's done correctly, you'll have a reliable DD street beast making 350whp :)

Hope I helped you out :)

Back