What do you all think?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

bcivicsi

I went and got my car dyno tuned about 3 weeks ago.It is a stock gsr motor with a sc61 turbo with all the supporting mods like rc550 injectors and Aem Ems,etc.So on the dyno they kept peaking the boost up to 15psi on a stock map sensor.So eventually they set it to 6 psi which was good enough for me.But my question is 2 weeks after the tune my car started blowing steam/smoke out the breather in the valve cover?Car would not stay running after the dyno tune come to a stop and the car died then had trouble starting.Then the motor blew 2 pistons melted 2nd and 4th cylinder also the ringlands were broke on them.Then when I took the pistons out all 4 of the pistons the ringlands were broke.My question is would 6psi break all 4 piston ringlands?If not do you think the motor was sh*t before I boosted it?Because I didnt think boosting a gsr motor would cause ALL 4 piston ringlands to break.This sucks!!! :wtf:

melted cylinders and steam coming out of the crank ventilation sounds like a coolant issue not exactly sure what though. wow that sucks dude

11.8 isn't too lean. It's probably a bad tune with too much timing advance.

Quoted post[/post]]
11.8 isn't too lean. It's probably a bad tune with too much timing advance.

werd! sounds like EGT's were pretty high if stuff was melting! but possible coolant issue...maybe.

sounds like they might have tried to just put a little extra fuel hoping it might cool it down maybe?? did they play with the timing at all when they were tuning..if you noticed i mean?

I didn't see them messing with anything the tuner had me watching the boost while he was watching the a/f.The funny thing is that before I had it tuned and put the turbo on it ran perfect.Then after it just wouldnt stay Idleing so they kept richining it at idle so it would stay running.Car never idled after tune always died when you pushed the clutch in.When I tried starting it sounded like it was straining to turn over.

Sounds like your "tuner" just knew how to add fuel- not tune.

Yeah I thought he was doin good I layed down a 270whp at 6 psi.But then 2 weeks later Its tore down needing rebuilt. :thumbsdown:

I've had it happen to me. Don't worry. It sucks, but you win some and you lose some. Tuner choice is the most important thing when it comes to finishing up your engine build.

So is it possible that I could have broke all 4 pistons ringlands on 6psi?Or could the motor just have been some what messed up when I did the swap and the turbo bring it out?

6 lbs shouldnt break your pistons and rings, a bad tune will. Sounds like the person who tuned your car didn tknow what he was doing. but, maybe a HG issue caused the "steam" to come from the valve cover... what did the head gasket look like? any coolant in the cylinders when you looked at the pistons?

Quoted post[/post]]
So is it possible that I could have broke all 4 pistons ringlands on 6psi?Or could the motor just have been some what messed up when I did the swap and the turbo bring it out?

From the power on 6psi, no.

From a bad tune, yes. All my ring lands were broken (well, 3 of 4) from a bad tune. No boost.

The head gasket looked bad when I melted the 2 pistons and took the head off all pistons were covered in oil.But didnt see any coolant on them I didnt loose any water.

If you melted the pistons, then you were definitely too lean and/or detonating. The tuner is at fault for feeding in too much timing. That's about all there is to it.

You can melt pistons and ring lands with 0 psi. poor tuning.

find a new tuner is isn't an asshat... even a n00b knows the oem map sensor stops a hair before 11 psi....

was this guy AEM certificied? AEM has their own school and certify the REAL AEM tuners out there.

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
ISo on the dyno they kept peaking the boost up to 15psi on a stock map sensor.So eventually they set it to 6 psi which was good enough for me.

What kind of tuner would peak the boost that high on a stock block? :blink:

a tuner trying to impress a kid with big numbers, trying to make him think he's a good tuner.

Thats probably true but it didnt impress me.Im shooting for 400whp now Im on my way building the block and looking for a new tuner. :thumbsup:

Back