What do you do when your favorite band....

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

There seem to be two kinds of musical genius discussed here.

One, is the popular notion. Those that break the rules, break the mold, and happen to compliment their style in an effort to elevate it to a higher art. This is Janis, Hendrix, Morrison, Tyler, etc.

Then there are musical geniuses who will forever be remember for their prowess on the instrument, composition, and arrangements that no one else can replicate. These are the "Musician's Musician". Wooten, Bettencourt, Jordan, Simon, and even the great "collosal" musicians, like Monk, Mingus, Diddley, Parker etc.

Phish has been one of the few bands to bridge the gap. With a strong sense of family and touring fun (Which is the Style part) to their strong band communication and smooth jam sessions (The Composition part) made them a friend to just about anyone's ears.

Listen to the complex structure of songs like "Fee", versus the fun-loving simple songs like "Poor Heart" and just about everything they have done with Dude of Life (Vocals on Chalkdust Torture). They have walked the paths of Grateful dead, yeah obviously. But they have also toured a world scene ala Peter Gabriel and Paul Simon.

The Grateful-dead-ism of the band ensures that fans of Phish will never be without something "new" to listen to. Live performances and obscure jams will whet the appetite of just about anyone in the mood.

Conversely, bands that you mention ("I know when Three 6 Mafia stop making music I will be upset") won't leave the world in this manner. Hell, I love Portishead, Hooverphonic, Chicane and Olive. But when they stop recording, that's it. It's over.

When King Crimson broke up, we saw more solo efforts from their members than the band ever put together. That's what's gonna happen to Phish. You'll see Anastasio listed in obscure liner notes, and Fishman doing duets with pop-stars on MTV. Now is not the end of Phish, only the beginning.

-> Steve

you got some damn good points there Steve,

and to add some, sit back and listen to divided sky, and You Enjoy Myself.
the composition of those two songs is amazing.

I've enjoyed pages - vida blue, and fishmans side project as well.
and I've like the movies Mike has done. and then trey solo is amazing as well, all very talented individuals

well. I'm glad to say I'll be at Conventry to see the final hour.

Phish, is not a huge band by no means, they will never leave an impact on the world like The Beatles, Michael Jackson, Madonna and so forth. People in Japan have probably never heard of Phish, yet they probably know every Michael Jackson song ever made. PHISH appeals to a very specific niche of people, where as the afformentioned appeal to people all over the world. I am not saying that you have to like it, but you know who Madonna is, but as somebody stated before they didn't even know who PHISH is, so to say that they have a "Worldly" impact isn't very practical. I do give them some credit for making somewhat "unique" music and they have talent, but nowhere near Worldly status.

well, here ya go, concert phsh played in japan.
07-30-99a Fuji Rock Festival (Green Stage), Naeba, Niigata, Japan
07-30-99b Fuji Rock Festival (Field of Heaven Stage), Naeba, Niigata, Japan
07-31-99 Fuji Rock Festival, Naeba, Niigata, Japan
08-01-99 Fuji Rock Festival, Naeba, Niigata, Japan

Ok, I was wrong but I still stand by my point that PHISH is nowhere near Michael Jackson status, and never will be. By Worldly I don't just mean Japan, but I don't mean Kunta Kinte in Africa knows who Michael is either, although I wouldn't be surprised.

just cause phish is breaking up doesn't mean you can't follow the solo artists...

whatever trey goes into is always gonna be good cause he's a good musician...

god damn trustafarians...

and MJ is a very poor example... he's known the world over because worried parents are hiding their children whenever they see a pasty fucking casper looking plastic faced asshole stalking little boys

and PHISH isn't as well known cause they didn't sell the fuck out like most of the other money hungry greddy assholes that have been mentioned...

show me someone else thats as known as phish that allowed and encouraged people to tape their live recordings and distribute them as they pleased...

phish heads... check out medeski, martin and wood
suspossed to be a good jam band
and there are a few others that are getting decent followings

Back