what do you guys think about this engine setup???

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

jdmking

This is what I want to do to a 1994-up Teg GSR;

B-18 block
type R oil pump
darton sleeves
Eagle steel stroker crank
Crower pro billet rods........................................................................4000.00
CP or JE pistons(9.5:1 for turbo & overbored to ??mm)
Total seal rings
STR block saver
Unorthodox underdrive pulley set
polyurethane engine mounts(not sure about these though)

Turbonetics T3/T4 hybrid turbo package.............................................4500.00

Cometic Hi-boost head gasket
ITR head cams and valve train or B18 head with PnP, crower cams
and a ferrea valve train(ss racing valves,ti retainers dual springs).........2000.00
unorthodox adjustible cam gears
Greddy timing belt

some kind of engine management(Vtec/boost/etc)..............................2000.00

LS tranny(will trade for GSR one I will have)
quiafe ltd slip diff
Clutchmasters clutch..........................................................................3000.00
clutchmasters lightened flywheel
enjo stage 3 shafts
Polyeurothane tranny mounts(not sure about these though)

fluidyne or turbonetics aluminum radiator
flex-o-lite dual fan.............................................................................1000.00
hi flo or electric water pump

holley 255lph fuel pump
AEM fuel rail.......................................................................................600.00
AEM fuel filter
AEM FPR w/ gauge

skunkII or STR intake manifold
Holley aluminum throttle body port matched w/ T.B. spacer...................800.00
CAI(not sure which one yet) w/ heat shield

Polished turbo exhaust manifold w/ seal
Spoon hi flo cat...............................................................................1200.00
Cat-back exhaust(not sure which one yet)

Optima red top batt
130 amp alt
denso irridium plugs........................................................................1000.00
magnacor or nology wires
coil (not sure which one yet)
ignition system(not sure which one yet)

This is the plan that I am wanting to go, that is roughly 20,000.00 I have 12,000-13,000, so with skipping a few of the frills I think I should be able to accomplish this pretty quick,what should I skip on first and will this combo get me a streetible car that does 12's...If I forgot about the turbo,eng management & axles that would save me 7500 right there and bumped up the compression to say 12:1 would I be close to running 12's ....Thanks for all the help

what are you seriously trying to do? do you want to go fast in a straight line?

a b18 block.. do you mean keep the b18c1 block that is in there?
ITR head cams... etc... why buy a gsr if you are goign to take the head off and the block??
just boost the gsr engine...

you've got some good thought into the list.. adn you obviously researched a little bit.. but you need to ask some more specific questions..

i think you are overkilling some things.. especially in the block..

you need to come up with a goal and find out what you need to reach taht goal...

is 12's all motor your goal?? that'll be a tough one to make... 12's with a turbo... i' watched a gsr do it last year. he had some slicks and a 75 shot on it too...

Your block is definately overkill. If you have a sleeved block you do not need the str block saver. The eagle stroker crank is not meant for a daily driver, if this is a race car then fine. Also why stroke out the block if you are going turbo, just boost more (simplified). Your price estimates are way high as well. You can get a car into the 12's turbo for half of what you had easy. Oh yeah............. good luck.

Wannabe, what do you mean??? I do not know if they even have elec. water pumps for a Teg but if they did those are the way to go, it flows the same amount of water through the radiator regardless of engine speed, plus you cut out some drag due to one less pulley...You can even have it flowing while you are in line @ the strip to cool down your car faster...I know that if it goes out then you are screwed but you are screwed if your mechanical pump goes out too!!!

an electric water pump has a lifespan. BUt one thing to remember on this site is NO ONE knows how to give a straight answer. SO I read your setup and although Im no expert and never claimed to be, it sounds good. but pills make a very good point, make goals build the engine to your taste, but save yourself the trouble, dont buy an electric water pump, what are the close to $400, when you can replace a Mechanical water 10 times before it becomes that expensive. Just a fore warning.

Type R oil pump = overkill, not needed. GSR is just as good!
Total seal rings = good choice :D
Greddy timing belt = Overpriced, get OEM
skunkII = (Skunk2) read somewhere it takes power away! If you're into blowing cash buy Toda's new Timing Belt for $288
CAI(not sure which one yet) w/ heat shield = If you are going turbo there is no need for a CAI. You'll have tones of Intercooler Piping, CAI V. I/C Piping?
Polished turbo exhaust manifold w/ seal = Why, polished?
Spoon hi flo cat = CatCo is cheaper!

If your going to go and sleeve the block, I've been recommended to buy LA sleeves, aka AEBS sleeves, they are the same manufacturer. Darton is crap, from what my machine shop guy said, and they do a lot of sleeved b16s. $20,000, are you kidding? Go buy a stock type R and drop a greddy turbo kit and intercooler, Hondata, some dyno time to tune it, a set of drag radials, and a strong clutch, and you can have a daily driver for less than 20k. Easy. or go get one of these HP ultimate part!. Lust Kidding! I thought about engines the same way as you when I first started uot. Good Luck.

I just might be getting a Import builders long block...They sound real sweet...I am gonna do some more research on them before committing to buy,

well not really sergey, I have been in touch with Import builders.com and their GSR killer block and IB spec head is gonna run me about 6000.00 and that doesn't include engine mounts, steel crank, underdrive pullies, block saver, head gasket or timing belt So I was pretty close, and JG is about the same price as well, and to buy all the pieces and have a machine shop put it together, you are looking @ about 6000 when everything is said and done...I still have to look into some other aspects of this but I am not into doing things half assed, but I am not here to throw money away either...I do appreciate all that have offered advice/opinions It is helping me with some tough choices....

I think I was rather close in all the pricing, maybe off by 1000 all together but I don't need engine mgt=2000, I don't need the turbo right now=4500, and if I don't have the turbo,I do not need enjo stage III axles=1000...So that is 7500 off the 20,000 so I have just about enough to get drive train phat...then comes exterior, interior, stereo,suspension,tools to work on it, etc...gonna be a long crazy ride :D

don't buy JG, there is a reason its not JG edelbrock anymore. They ditched his ass becuase stuff kept breaking. my .02. And IB rocks.

Back