what do you hate about your job?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I never really get how that whole bail bonds/bounty hunter thing works. Where does the money from your salary come from? commissions or something like that.
I guess if I don't already know that it is a good thing.

as far as i know

the bail/bonds company , puts up the money for bail
the criminal who is out on bond must go to court on his assigned date to face his charges
the criminal ends up not going to court / running / skipping bail / or any of a hundred other ways of saying it
the bail/bonds company who fronted the bond for the criminal either has bail enforcement agents (BEAs) that it employs, or hires a BE company or "freelance / independant contractor" type BEAs
the BEA gets a percentage of the criminals bond for bringing them in
so lets say the criminal is out of $15,000 bond
the BEA gets something like 10% for bringing in the criminal... so $1500
this i would imagine would be split however many ways for however many BEAs worked the case
if you work for a BE company, i imagine the company would have to take a cut of the 10% and then divvy it up to the BEAs who worked the case
so on the down side, working for a BE company you will receive smaller returns per criminal you bring in... but you will likely get more jobs than you would as a completely "freelance" BEA

phyregod im sure can shed much more light on this than i can and correct anything i am wrong on

but that i believe is about the jist of it

what i hate about my job... it's making me fat.

i think people would dissagree with that..you still got it!+

what i hated most about my job was not being able to slap that midget manager....

i left along with 5 other fulltime staff at macdonalds......when we left we all bough ice cream cones licked them a little and threw them at her....

it was so romantic i couldnt help but laugh and cry

How we make money:

Joe Gets pulled over on his 3rd DWI. Cop tosses him in jail and the Judge slaps him with a $25,000.00 bail. Joe calls us, and we charge him 10% (the fee varies from city to city, usually between 10 and 20%) So, Joe pays us $2,500 and we put up a bond for him in the amount of $25,000.00. He is now free "on bond". The court holds the bond until he appears for court. Once the case is over, they release our bond back to us, and now we have our original $25,000 + the $2,500 that Joe Paid us. This is how a good bond works.

How we lose money:
Same scenario, only Joe decides that he can run from his problems and skips town. Now the court is going to pocket our $25,000. If we cannot return him to jail within 180 days, its pretty much game over. We lose 25k. (well, technically, 22.5k because he did pay us our $2,500 in the beginning.

Where "Bail Enforcement Agents" or "Skip Chasers" come in:
Its in our best interest to get Joe back in jail, even at a cost. So the agents come in and say "I'll capture Joe for XX%!" Usually 10%, but it varies a little. More for more dangerous or hard to locate individuals. So, assuming the chaser isnt full of crap, and actually catches the guy, we remit payment to him. Sure, we lost our $2,500, and by the time the court is done with court costs, etc, we will lose another $600-700 bucks, we still come out better than 22.5k in the hole.

Where I come in:
I am general manager of a small bond company. I take the calls, bond them out, keep track of them, etc. But, when they fail to appear in court, I turn into the skip chaser and go track them down, rearrest them, and toss their butts in jail. Because I work for a cheap skate boss, I dont get comissions on captures, only hourly pay. And of course she picks up all of my travel expenses. Now, hourly pay, mind you, is ticking away when I spend 3 days in a car watching a house, 24 hours a day. So the pay is OKish. Why dont we outsource our skip chasing to other agents? Because one: I'm cheaper. And two: If I cant find them, noone can. We've hired top professionals to go after the skips that I cant find (3 have slipped throught the cracks out of 85? skips). I'm kind of proud of the fact that noone has ever out-tracked me.

So there you have it.

But, after 7 years in the business, I'm sick and tired of it. And my nagging boss is getting on the very end of my very last nerve.

I see I have always wondered how that all worked exactly. Sounds like it could have its ups and downs though. I am assuming you are not allowed to carry or are you? I would think that chasing could get dangerous from time to time.

sounds like fun
i wouldnt mind doing it part time or something like a per diem kind of thing
i can see how doing it day in and day out can seriously start grinding away at you eventually though

still sounds kick ass though

Yeah but I thought that I read somewhere that someplaces you can't carry when you are rounding people up. I may be wrong though.

Its touchy. I carry, and I am licensed to do so. But I do notify local authorities that I am in their town, chasing a bail jumper, and that I am armed. Its just a respect kinda thing, I suppose.

In Texas, you cannot take people against their will. This will shock alot of people. I cant kick down someone's door, point a gun at em and load 'em up. Thats illegal now. (Used to be able to do that just a couple of years ago) What I do is watch the house, apt, work place, whatever.. get a visual on them to verify that they are on sight, then I call the cops. If the person is known to be dangerous, they bring swat. I kick back and watch the show. Non-dangerous types, I walk up to their door, knock, tell them that they missed court and have a warrant for their arrest. I say "Lets go" And they follow me to the car, and get a free ride to jail. They do come willingly and I am not breaking any laws. Although they dont have any idea that they can say "no" and I am required to leave them alone. Thats happened a couple of times.. All I do is get a buddy to watch the back of the house, I watch the front, and I call the police to make the arrest.

I'm a pretty big guy, and so are the friends I bring with me, so people dont even think to resist or argue.. They assume the worst and just go along with whatever I say.

The fun part is tracking them down. But all of the big runs have been captured, and now I'm kinda sitting around twiddling my thumbs most of the time. When they run, I pounce immediately. 90% of the time, they dont even make it out of town. Its become pretty mind numbing, really.

Christ the high school I work for should hire guys like you to track down the kids that are skipping classes. That would be hilarious to watch a guy like you walking in kids two at a time.

Id like to be a bail bondsman or a repo guy for a week. I think it'd be cool. If you do anything day in and day out for years on end will get old.

Actually that is why I like to teach. I teach for 180 contracted days then I have all summer to explore another career if I want. I usually work construction. By the time I get sick of teaching it is time to work construction and vice versa.

I work as a server. I'm at a non-corp. bar and grill now so I'm loving it. I make good money (for a server) and after my shift I'm allowed to sit right down at the bar and have a few beers. It's so laid back that I will never work in a corp. restaurant again.

i like my job :)

Thats because you stand around sexing turbine housings.

The part I hate about my job is some of the shit I get into. Tomorrow I have to do wire runs in apartments.

We normally don't do residential shit... but for some reason my dad okayed this bullshit.

phyregod vbmenu_register("postmenu_820141", true); you rock......i now want to move to america just to do that lol......

but seriousely sounds like a half decent job for a big guy....well im 6"1

I couldn't do repo work (cars or criminal), I give you a lot of respect. I think I'd be too quick to resort to pulling a gun. I had a chance to work for Speedy Recovery in vegas but they wouldn't let me carry my shotgun. Its dangerous work and I only wanna puch out on the time clock at the end of the day, but the way you do it in texas sounds like a very smart way to do it. Kills the sterrio type of bunch of dumb rednecks in texas.

i did repo for awhile is was cool till we got shot at and then we got out of it - do to the fact that we couldn't afford to fix the truck we where using cause the guy shooting hit it up a bunch of times LOL.............he's still in jail from what i hear
i think repo is more dangerous then bounty hunting at least bounty hunters know what there walking into we had no idea of who we where taking cars from !!!

Back