what do you think about these PC's

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

If you're going to run multiple drives it might be a good idea... either way, when you're talking about the brand new frontrunner drives, there's only about a $10 difference between Ultra133 and SATA150.

Originally posted by Calesta@Jan 19 2005, 05:32 PM

:werd:

Since living with my girlfriend again, I've had to readjust to sleeping with the computers off at night. It's not easy. I'm building a separate small "quiet" sound damped PC to keep on at night so I can continue my downloads and hack scripts while I sleep.
[post=448217]Quoted post[/post]​

You can always get an old PC power supply and just have that run by itself in the room.

Originally posted by Sabz5150@Jan 20 2005, 02:34 AM
You can always get an old PC power supply and just have that run by itself in the room.
[post=448535]Quoted post[/post]​

Huh? You mean to keep my brain company at night? Nah. Just one power supply isn't loud enough. :lol:

I did- I'll probably have to get with you on the phone or something first. I'll try to send you an Excel sheet with the pricing in it later tonight. PM me a phone number (and your time zone) or something and I'll give you a call.

HOLY SHIT 1800?? That would be near 2000 without shipping after tax. Im in the process of putting together a far better system for the same amount of money or a little less, but would blow that one out of the water.

140 = THermaltake Case. Built like a tank or can get lighter versions
300 = AMD 64 +3500 Processor.
200 = Swiftech Water cooling kit (would be better if custom)
200 = 2 160GB SATA Seagate Hard Drives
160 = DFI SOcket 939 Ultra Motherboard
220 = 1GB Crucial Ballistix DDR400 Memory
50 = Logitech X530 5.1 Surround SOund (very loud for regular use)
90 = Plextor Dual Layer Burner
30 = Lite On DVD ROm
230 = Nvidia GeForce 6600GT Video card (good enough card for non-hardcore gamers) can get an ATI X800 or Geforce 6800 Ultra for another 100-200.
110 = OCZ 520 Watt Power supply

This is around 1700 shipped and taxed. Rough estimates but very close to what you will actually pay. You have $300 for a screen. Dont know how much media center costs but i think another 200 would be enough, and if your a student at a college, might even get a discount at from the school. Anyway 2200 for a VERY VERY nice system that can easily be overclocked to beat ANYTHING out there offered by Dell, Sony, etc. The AMD 64 3500 is very stable and can be easily overclocked, espeically with water cooling, to FX-55 levels which cost 900-1000 for just the CPU itself.

$1800 is a shitty deal for anything but a server :ph34r: My dual Xeon 3.06's with a gig of ram, 240gb hd and radeon 9800 128mb graphics card. Granted, I chopped up my old computer for some of the components (like drives and the like) but I'm just showing that you can build a computer a LOT cheaper and a lot better.

Back