what do you think of my little swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

1hgem115

Hey HS

I have an em1 ('00 civic si) and my pockets aren't deep and I have expenses. So in light of my desire for displacement and lack of money, my mechanic told me to grab a b20 block
(which aren't expensive) and drop it in with my si tranee and head (using the b20 crank). He also said to upgrade my valve train to skunk2 and hiiiiiiiigh compression pistions (13.1).

Issues i was thinking i'd run into include
- timing
- computer
- bore of head and block don't match

What do you all think of this and what other issues can I run into?

any help would be much appreciated, thank you

that's alot of compression and will take much tuning and proper fuel to run well. if you want to push that high go for it.
if it were me; buy the b20, get the cams, only shoot for 12:1 compression since less problem will arise from that, tune with chrome

you will get more power, better drivability, and spend less money if you get a turbo for the b16.

b16 head on the b20 block? wouldn't this be like an ls/vtech engine? i'm really not sure, but just throwing it out there for you to check on

yeah it is ls/vtec, not vtech...

i still say that's gonna be expensive, and i agree w/ get_nick. i'd turbo it. spend your money on a good turbo w/ high compression pistons, and good cams. high compression w/ boost ill give you minimal turbo lag, and overall more power.

what's this car's main purpose?

what's "cheap", how much are you willing to spend?

if you really want n/a, K20 is the way...

hehe, i'm rhymin w/o even tryin :D

i would use a chipped p28 ecu and use a ls block not the b20 unless you want to have a 2.0l,also use a p30 timming belt and a ls or if you going with b20 head gasket

You could run a chipped p28 with a STOCK b20 vtec. However, you plan on running 12:1 compression this will not suffice. You will need proper tuning to avoid detonation. I suggest keeping the b20 block stock and slapping a b16 head on it with the chipped p28, I suggest getting it from phearable.net. I dealt with this guy and my setup runs great. This way your engine will run like a stock engine but you will have tons of power.

Back