What does a exhaust resonator do?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Loud exhaust + Tri-Color Car = Alert Officer Hate a Tuner

EDIT: What I meant by "Tri-Color" is all the pathetic Hondas I see in Northern California. Our Hondas have now become the POS V-Dub Bugs I remember when I was a kid. Most looked like crap but a clean one would be seen every once in a while. Too many salvage title civics spotted with primer all over and horrible body work. Drops the value of our cars. Just like the trashy dude in the neighborhood who never takes care of his house.....he lowers the value of the neighborhood.

HOWS THIS FOR OFF TOPIC? LOL

Last edited:
um, 2 year old thread -.-

/lock ?

If it's on topic, then what the hell, might as well go with it. The more info that we have in each thread, the more useful it is for people who are searching and reading.

If it's off-topic though, well, that's another story... :D

I say keep the resonator. It helps reduce a lot of the rasp.

anyone know about gibson, or pypes exhausts are they any good?
Welcome to the forums hoss.

It's customary to ask questions that are outside the topic of the thread on a thread of your own. Being new, evern newer than me, maybe you can't post a thread yet?

Need some help?

Last edited:
Which is better for actual volume (db) reduction, muffler or resonator? Ive heard that resonators lower the tone of the exhaust note while the muffler is what controls the actual loudness...not sure myself though...anyone?:confused:

Which is better for actual volume (db) reduction, muffler or resonator? Ive heard that resonators lower the tone of the exhaust note while the muffler is what controls the actual loudness...not sure myself though...anyone?:confused:
Resonators in general will lower the the tone and give it a little more rumble. Resonators dampen loudness, but not as much as mufflers.

Basically it's something like this:

Muffler, quiet all the time and little sacrifice in performance - mileage and HP.

Resonator, quiet enough when the manifold vacum is high, then when you jump on it things change and it gets loud. More noise, better performance and fuel economy.

How much things vary in any direction is a case by case basis.

ok just my opinion. i just had a resonator put in place of the, what looked to be factory cat, and it sounds much deeper. still loud if i stand on it a lil but not as bad as if u have a str8 pipe in there. honestly IMHO, a quiter car is always more interesting to me. plus like the others said, it draws MUCH less attention than someone thats just cruizin around town and is loud as FUK. but once again thats just my opion, take it for what its worth. hope i helped a lil. if not sorry all

Resonators in general will lower the the tone and give it a little more rumble. Resonators dampen loudness, but not as much as mufflers.

Basically it's something like this:

Muffler, quiet all the time and little sacrifice in performance - mileage and HP.

Resonator, quiet enough when the manifold vacum is high, then when you jump on it things change and it gets loud. More noise, better performance and fuel economy.

How much things vary in any direction is a case by case basis.
So does a resonator help or hurt with gas milage and performance? I have a 1996 pathfinder and the resonator has rusted through. Expensive replacement part so I was thinking of just running a straight pipe from muffler to tailpipe. Would that work? Would the noise level be that noticeable?

So does a resonator help or hurt with gas milage and performance? I have a 1996 pathfinder and the resonator has rusted through. Expensive replacement part so I was thinking of just running a straight pipe from muffler to tailpipe. Would that work? Would the noise level be that noticeable?
I have no idea. My suggestion - take it to a muffler shop and have them weld in a replacement part and call it a day.

no a resonator is going to make your car ALOT louder if you have no cat and no resonator you will not be able to hear your self think it does gain hp is some cases but without the proper back pressure it will be hard to feel the diffrence

i run a muffler shop and it just depends on the year of your vehicle as to if it will hurt or help
you will have alot better air flow out but still in alot of vehicles obd2 mostly you have to have proper back pressure

As others have pointed out, resonators DO NOT replace catalytic converte
rs. The two serve totally different functions. (Why do people who have absolutely no idea what they are talking about bother to answer questions? Unfortunately, someone might actually believe them and make decisions based on the nonsense they post.)

The exhaust pipes in automobile exhaust sytems are designed as acoustic resonators that work with the muffler to reduce noise, by making sound waves "cancel each other out". The "exhaust note" is an important feature for many vehicle owners, so both the original manufacturers and the after-market suppliers use the resonator to enhance the sound. In 'tuned exhaust' systems designed for performance, the resonance of the exhaust pipes can also be used to 'suck' the combustion products out of the combustion chamber at a particular engine speed or range of speeds.

Back