What does it take to make NA B16A2 to 185hp?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ousi

I am going to have a shop to work on my engine, which has 180k km on it already (that's why a rebuild).

As I will take the engine apart (the labour cost), I think it's time to give it some upgrade. I want to take the engine to around 185hp (i.e. the power of a CTR) while trying to make my car looks as stock as possible (i.e. no super huge exhaust that nearly touches the ground). What do I need to replace?

Thanks.

well to get that much power at the wheels your gona need some good cams and head work, along with a good header, intake manifold,and exhaust.

if you want a ctr type build, you will need ctr type parts. get some b16b pistons, some good cams, you will need a good header (smsp or rage are my preference) and a really good tune.

185 at the crank is possible with some aggressive cams, higher compression, etc... But if you are talking about 185 at the wheels, good luck.

if it was me i would get 11.5:1 pistons, eagle rods, skunk2 pro1 cams, springs and retainers, skunk2 intake mani, good header, custom exhaust. should get you in the ballpark.

ctrs are rated 185 at the crank, you might get close to 185 at the wheels

I just want to get to the range of a CTR output, i.e. 185hp at crank.
Sounds like I can't avoid a large diameter exhaust (those that you can stick your fist inside and still have rooms to move around)...

you dont' need a huge exhaust. 2.25" would be ideal. and you can get those really quiet.

Sounds good, that means my car can still look like stock :)

I'm working on the cost... Any suggestion where to get those parts?
I'm thinking of getting the parts myself and have the shop install them when they rebuild the engine.

what do u guys think ill be crankin out? im runnin 10.5:1 supertech pistons with blox stage 2 cams, blox manifold, aem v2 intake, dc headers, skunk2 test pipe, and magnaflow cat back.

what do u guys think ill be crankin out? im runnin 10.5:1 supertech pistons with blox stage 2 cams, blox manifold, aem v2 intake, dc headers, skunk2 test pipe, and magnaflow cat back.

please start a new thread.

OP: ebay is a good place to start. you can get oem stuff there for a good price. what shop are you going to take it to?

Thanks! I'll go eBay a bit ;)

I'll take it to SpeedFactory Racing in WA, might not be in recent future (coz I am very busy and will be until I'll have a break later this year).

you dont need forged rods for a light NA build, just use arp rod bolts, ebay nippon ctr pistons I would use 82mm, BC stage 2 cams, aftermarket valve springs and retainers. short ram intake. ebay tri y hytech replica header, and a 2.5 inch full exhaust.

you should hit your 180 bhp.

on a stock jdm b16a with skunk2 intake mani, rc310 injectors, ebay itr replica header, and a 2.5 inch full exhaust with a 2.25 axle back to fit a stock muffler. I hit 150whp with 101 tq.

I did some "price estimation" and it seems like pistons+rod+valve sprint+valve spring retainer+cam+intake manifold will set me off at least 2400USD (not incl tax). So, I'm now thinking of another way to get this power - maybe a B18C1 swap? [I'll open a new thread to discuss about it]. Just to see which way is a bit cheaper.

Thanks for all your input! Appreciated!

I made 176 at the wheels on my B16 with stock bottom end, type R head and JDM DC header.

if your gna spend that kind of money have simple turbo setup boostin 6-8 for around 1500-1700 dollars. i mean it may not be something your looking for but turbo setups done right and tuned right can be even more efficent especiallysince were talking about a honda. turboed or not its still an efficient motor.

Back