what ecu and harness would i use with a d16z

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

birdnuts6

hey i have a 92 cx.....and i got a d16z at a really good price...i am planning to do an engine swap but am wondering exactly what ecu number to use and if i can use my harness or if i have to change the whole harness also . any help would be greatly appreciated...thanx

b. kidd

and you'll have to add the wires for the VTEC solenoid i believe because the CX isn't pre wires on the chassis harness... correct me if i'm wrong someone..

does anyone know what wire to add or how to add it or do i really have to get a new harness? please let me know any help would be greatly appreciated....

b. kidd

https://hondaswap.com/~pills/obd1guide.html

that will explain the VTEC solenoid directly wired to the ecu. there is a possibilty, though i dont believe so that the chassis harness on the cx already has teh wires run, so all you'd need to do is go out and see if there are wires corresponding with the pin locations in the link above.. A4 etc

thats what i was asking someone to double check me on.. i couldn't remember what years models etc. came prewired.. i'm a del sol guy.. i never remember that damn hatchback shit :)

thanx alot im gonna check that out and see what it says...im trying to keep from having to buy a harness so i can just worry about the ecu and thats it.....so i will have more money for mods....anyone else has info please either drop me a line or just reply..

thanx a bunch and i appreciate the help alot

b. kidd

i just did this swap's wiring harness for some dude this week.. except he cut a bunch of other stuff.. 'twas quite the job..

anyway cx has the vtec/o2 wires in the chassis harness plug that goes to the engine harness.. and they're just missing in the engine harness side.. so you just add pins there and run the wires through to their respective parts..

keep your cx harness and add what needs to be added.. pretty easy as long as you dont cut a bunch of stuff :).. aim: gettruent if you need help

i know im sounding like a rambling bitch but i want to be sure that i have my shit straight....so i have to take a vtec connector from another harness and run it straight to the ecu? is that what you are saying...cause i really dont feel like taking off all my shit just so that i switch a fucking harness i think and want to keep the original harness so that way i have money to get upgrades for the engine..any info would help....as far as what i should get and the info for the vtec hookup...if its the same link then ill check it out again...thanx

thanx alot for the help

if their is a better more informative link let me know...

thanx again for your help

b. kidd

guess you didnt read my post.. heh

the 2 wires for vtec and one for the new 4wire o2 is in your chassis harness.. if you look at your engine harness on the leftside when facing the car.. look at the biggest plug.. one side has all the wires.. (chassis side) and the other plug (engine side) is missing 3.. just take those three little caps out put in some new pins..
look at the chassis side to get the colors i'm talking about.. but here ya go..

orn/wht - vtec solenoid
orn/blu - vtec pressure switch
orn/blk - 4 wire o2 sensor.. usually blk/wht wire

that will hookup one wire of your 4wire o2.. and vtec (assuming you ground the black wire on the pressure switch..) this way you're not running stuff into the firewall or anything and the harness will just disconnect if you ever need to swap again..

for this part i assume you have a 4wire o2 harness side plug to work with..

now the 4wire o2..

you got one wire hooked up.. now chop off your old o2 sensor plug on the cx harness.. and that wht wire hooks up to the wht wire on the new 4wire o2..

next.. the black/yel wire.. that connects to the lil capped off plug on the drivers side of your engine bay.. since you had cx.. you should have one plugged pin hole.. where you can insert another pin.. if you cant do that.. im pretty sure you could just run it to any yel/blk wire..

lastly the grn wire.. that connects to any grn/wht wire in the harness.. i think iac, tps, map and the water temp sensor on the water neck all have it.. just choose whichever is easier...

have fun.. like i said.. aim: gettruent if you need help.. if you think it's over your head.. dont feel bad.. leave it to the pros.. you can always send me your harness i'll have it done in no time :)

i read it..its just that i was wondering and you describe it really well and ill look and check to see if those connections are their tomorrow...im new to this whole thing and the other thing that was bothering me was the fact that the cx harness is for a 1.5...and im putting it on a 1.6.....i appreciate the information and like i said before thans alot. ill look into it and if i have any other questions i have you on my aim list.and ill ask you..

thanx
b.kidd
birdnuts6

All 1992 (only) civic's are prewired for VTEC & 4-wire 02 sensor in the cabin harness (underdash to ecu plugs).

If you really don't wanna deal with wiring anything in, get a hold of a 92-95 Si or EX 5-speed engine harness. It will plug n' play and you'll be on your way.

And you'll want to get a P28 ecu or a JDM P08 (which is a jdm version of a P28).

Back