What engine for a 1990 CRX is better

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

geminianm1

well i have recently purchased a 1990 CRX and i am having troubles deciding what engine would be the best. I have been doing research on this for the past month and i just dont know. Either a H22A, B16, B18 or a ZC motor. Which one would have the most potential and be the fastest (with a turbo). And what turbo would be a good option for what ever chioce you pick as to be the best. Im just trying to build myself a 10 second CRX. Thanks for your responses i really appreciate the help and knowledge of what you all have to say :mrgreen: .

well, lots of people have started polls like this. and a lot of people argue between b18c's, h22's, and lsvtec or crvtec.

and then, there's the k series. hasport recently came out with crx mounts, and they even built a supercharged k24, and raced it in the superstreet time attack.

but, all can be really fast with the proper setup and budget.

what kind of budget are you working with?

With $3000, swap in a B18 and then save money for the turbo. If you can get all the parts cheap enough, you might be able to junkyard turbo the engine within that budget, but I doubt it- and at the very least, it's not something I would be happy with. I would use leftover money to drop in forged pistons and rods if you can before you swap the engine.

You can actually have a DOHC ZC swapped CRX with a decent turbo setup on it done for $3000 if you know what you're doing, and make more power than any other setup you can drop into the car for the same price.

Quoted post[/post]]
With $3000, swap in a B18 and then save money for the turbo. If you can get all the parts cheap enough, you might be able to junkyard turbo the engine within that budget, but I doubt it- and at the very least, it's not something I would be happy with. I would use leftover money to drop in forged pistons and rods if you can before you swap the engine.

You can actually have a DOHC ZC swapped CRX with a decent turbo setup on it done for $3000 if you know what you're doing, and make more power than any other setup you can drop into the car for the same price.

If you are careful with your money you could get a b18a1 (Teggy LS engine) and turbo it nicely for 3k. Fuel management and all.

Then toss a gsr head on later, when you have another $1k to throw at it.

An H22 will cost you somewhere around $2500-3000 with trans, harness, ecu, and mounts. But would be the best grounds for a drag car. I assume you want to drag....

H22A turbo in a crx will be a hell of a project,ZC aint worth it, best bet is to swap a stock GSR in and then save up to boost it, B16 turbo will be quick depending on how quick you want to go. Saw an article in a mag that ran a b16 boosted, it got to like 400+ hp on the stock motor til the pistons gave out, so that tells you the b16 can hang.

IF you want a swap and turbo off the jump, You can get a ZC and full turbo for 3k or under.

But if it was me, I would buy a b18 and Ls/Vtec then turbo on top of that, Theres a Local Crx with that setup and hes fucking fast.

Quoted post[/post]]
IF you want a swap and turbo off the jump, You can get a ZC and full turbo for 3k or under.

But if it was me, I would buy a b18 and Ls/Vtec then turbo on top of that, Theres a Local Crx with that setup and hes fucking fast.

naa, forget the ZC.. The B series is a better/stronger platform to build on. And an H22 wouldn't be as much of a project as you would think. Hasport has a mount kit that makes it bolt right in.

But, for budget, I'd seriously consider a b18a1 turbo. Probably your best bet.

Actually, get a b18b1 in OBD1.. You'll need it for the ecu programming.

Ok thanks for your ideas, yea im building this car on the side as a drag car, but i still want to be able to drive it around on the street and stuff. for the b18 and a turbo how much horse do you think that will put out and what would ur guys guess be on the quarter time?

Quoted post[/post]]

:withstupid:

parts are cheaper...its a basic simpler swap.....great for a daily....turbos are sexy...

fuck a zc.. theres no parts available for them.

obd0 b16a swaps are very cheap right now, id swap in one of those, and use the 1200 you have left to turbo it.

Your Hp depends on what else you do to the engine and how many pounds of boost you will be running.

So we couldnt really give you an estimate on you Hp.

Ok try these numbers, what horsepower and quarter mile time will this produce do you think in a crx?:

stock B16a with turbo - 6psi boost=?

stock zc motor with turbo -6psi boost=?

stock h22a motor with turbo -6psi boost=?

Thanks

h22 will be faster than b16a and b16a will be fastwer than zc.

h22a has frm sleeves, and is a terrible choice to boost with stock internals.

zc makes the least power in stock form and has no aftermarket support.

b16a is clearly the best choice,

Quoted post[/post]]
h22 will be faster than b16a and b16a will be fastwer than zc.

h22a has frm sleeves, and is a terrible choice to boost with stock internals.

zc makes the least power in stock form and has no aftermarket support.

b16a is clearly the best choice,
:withstupid:

for the price that you can get a b16 for, and you should have some money left over for your turbo project

i will have to change my original statement.....a 1st gen b16 would be the best choice....you get a great head and tranny....and the block just needs forged internals.......but you have to buy mounts and shit for it to fit in your car.........

Quoted post[/post]]
Which will make the B16 over $3k just to drop in.
not really
if he gets the complete package from hmotors. shoud be under 3k if he does the swap himself

http://hmotorsonline.com/shop/sc2000search...page&item=30002
looking at 1500 for the swap plus shipping (should be around 200 or so), add hasport mounts for 300 and linkage for 60. if he needs hubs you can get them for another 50. and wiring from rywire is around 230.

so with all that he is looking to spend around 2500

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
Which will make the B16 over $3k just to drop in.
not really
if he gets the complete package from hmotors. shoud be under 3k if he does the swap himself

http://hmotorsonline.com/shop/sc2000search...page&item=30002
looking at 1500 for the swap plus shipping (should be around 200 or so), add hasport mounts for 300 and linkage for 60. if he needs hubs you can get them for another 50. and wiring from rywire is around 230.

so with all that he is looking to spend around 2500
For my complete b16 obd0 swap it cost me $2400 shipped complete changeover from hmo, including lsd tranny (optional, extra $300)
And look to spend around $200+ for the wiring unless you can do it.
Then i changed the clutch for $300
And i was going to change the timing belt/water pump, but inspected it and didnt need to.
In which i have a complete kit brand new honda oem parts.

:werd:

Realistically, it's difficult to get a B swap into a 4G Civic easily for under $3000. It can definitely be done if you're very careful and you do all your own work, but most of the time it's going to cost more than that. In a 5G it's a piece of cake... just not on the 4G.

hotrex- the DOHC ZC actually has a decent aftermarket. Sure, it's an older parts group, but there is still enough crap out there for it- especially if you want to go turbo. All you would really want for it are new pistons and rods (easy to get, match up for any D engine) and some turbo profile cams and adjustable cam gears. All those items are readily available in the ZC aftermarket.

lol 10's for 3k?

i love it.

wake up y0! you're in dream land.

you'll be lucky to break 13's for 3k....

Back