What Engine Has Most Torque Potential?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Hey
I was wondering what engine has the most torque potential? I dont care about my top end speed at all, Im only worried about going 1320 feet fast, and driving under 4000 rpms the rest of the time.
I dont care what letter series engine it is as long as it will fit into my 94 Civic EX Coupe.

The reason I say under 4000 RPMS is because Im going to put a t3/t4 hybrid turbo on the engine. You can say "oh it takes too long to spool," but thats the exact reason I'm putting it on there, it wont spool till 4000rpms and I can daily drive under that and keep my mpg up around 22.

Let me know what you guys think.
Thanks

yeah the h22 is the best choice. mainly b/c of its displacement.

no way the 440 big block. Lot's of tourqe, lot's of potential for even more tourqe. And it's theoretically possible to fit it in a 94 EX coupe :D

and not to much of a worry of going over 4k rpms

Originally posted by Silverchild79@Apr 1 2003, 10:44 PM
no way the 440 big block. Lot's of tourqe, lot's of potential for even more tourqe. And it's theoretically possible to fit it in a 94 EX coupe :D

and not to much of a worry of going over 4k rpms

that would also require a new transmission, mounts, and all that. with that you would have a domestic import car.

a t3/t4 will spool up WELL before 4000 rpms.

get a t4 60-1 if you want that high of a spool.

If you want to race 1/4 mile, i sugest:

2L sleeved GSR
9.5:1 compression pistons
B16 head
GSR tranny w/ quaiffe diff.
GSR cams
hondata tuned with boost timing retard
t4 60-1 or larger turbo like the precisionte.com SC61
(i'm personally awating my t3/t61)
traction
good driving skill
lightweight car
you'll run low 11s

Okay, now just out of the b and d series
what has the most torque potential?
Ive heard b20 and d16 and all sorts of stuff..
let me know what you think!

basically what engine am i going to get the fastest 1/4 mile time with for 6000? and part of that 6000 is going towards a turbocharger

D series engines and trannys are pretty weak.... they will not hold up to high power for very long

if you need to get an engine and turbo setup with $6000 and you want a B series then get either a B20 or B18
the B20 will yeild more power (extra .2L displacement)
the B18 will be cheaper
its up to you

stick with the b-series.

Anything turboed will give you lots of TQ, but there such a thing as too much TQ. Basically go with what can fit your budget, peak hp and TQ aren't really as important as some people think they are. Tunning an engine is time consuming, but its necessary for high performance, Traction is just as important.

300lb-ft of TQ wont do you much good if your stuck at the start line spinning you tires.

B series is always the best choice for a daily driver. The H22 will have gobs of torque but its a tough swap and your handling will go to shit with all that weight up front (regardless of what other people say). i would go for a b20b from an earlier CR-V (already has a low, boostable compression).

Hey Guys... I just did some further research into it.
Everyone who said the h22 has the most torque... was WRONG!!!

The B20B4 has the most... from what I have seen. Heres the numbers

97-98 Crv Ex/Lx/Se ... 133 @ 4300 if you divide Tq/Rpms you get apx: .031
97-98 H22A 163@6500 divided is apx: .025

but check out the F22A... 142@4000 is apx: .035

so based on that... doesn't that mean the F22A has the most torque available the fastest, then the B20B4, then the H22A?
Is that the order they are going to be the fastest in also?

I can't think right now, I just found out my cousin died

no making torque later is better, especially for hondas. and you cant use a certain number THROUGHOUT the rpm band, it changes. torque on the dyno goes up and down, its not a constant. you can make like no torque at 3000 and EXPLODE to like 300lbs of torque at 6000. if it was like how you said, then youll have the straightest torque curve(which is good).

for those numbers, here is the hp:

109hp@4300 for b20
202hp@6500 for h22

108hp@4000 for f22

its better if you look for dyno sheets, but i switched back to 56k so im not gonna look all the dynos up. id suggest you look for dyno sheets to see how their power is made.

look if the f22 was such a great engine with ass loads of potential then professional racers would be using them

they're not
they use H22s

more power and better tunability
plus its just an overall stronger platform to start with

$6,000 for an engine and turbo kit is pushin' it. get an LS (b18a/B) and a turbo kit from ks-motorsports.com and if you have any money left, get some internals.

Back